Holiday Gift Shopping Doesn’t Have To Be A Nightmare…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

It’s that time of year once again, and after months of hard work, we all deserve a relaxing winter break. Although the holiday season is perhaps the most beloved time of year for children, teens and adults alike, many of us also cringe at the thought of buying the many gifts we plan to give those nearest and dearest to us. Not to fear, here are a few tips to calm your nerves as you frantically search for the perfect gifts this winter season:

Give Something Homemade:

Whether you have a lifetime of experience with arts and crafts, or have never attempted to create something with your own two hands, the holidays are the perfect time to bestow your loved ones with personally made, thoughtful gifts. No matter what you decide to make, the thought, time and effort that is placed into a handmade present is sure to be appreciated by anyone who receives it. So get creative this season, pull out the beads, hot glue gun, glitter and let your imagination guide you as you prepare to surprise your friends and family with a gift that is refreshingly original and thoughtful!

Secret Santa:

Is there anything better than sharing the experience of receiving gifts during the holidays surrounded by a close group of friends? Although it may seem difficult organizing an event that will take everyone’s busy holiday schedules into consideration, all it takes is a bit of planning and you’ve got yourself a night of merriment and holiday cheer in the company of people that are sure to make your holidays all the more jolly! Not only can you be assured of the fact that you will likely receive a gift you’ll love (by sharing your wish list with those who are participating) but you can also breathe a sigh of relief knowing that the person you have been assigned to buy a gift for will enjoy their present as well (seeing as how you will be able to look over their wish list too!). All in all, Secret Santa is a time-honored holiday tradition that is sure to relieve you of the frustrations that come with buying gifts this hectic time of year!

Don’t Know What to Get? Just Ask!

Although this may seem an obvious piece of advice, we often ignore the option of just asking the people we simply can’t figure out what to give exactly what they want to receive! This is especially the case for friends, who we often feel embarrassed to tell that we are unable to think of something they would like to be given as a gift. But don’t be too hard on yourselves! Asking a close friend what they prefer to be presented with for this holiday season does not mean you are a horrible or clueless friend. In fact, asking will both ensure you buy something the other person will be overjoyed to have, eliminate your own anxieties, as well as end your inner debate over what to buy him or her and whether he or she will actually love your gift or secretly hate it!

So just take a deep breath, relax and enjoy the break while it lasts. Buying gifts for our loved ones does not have to be a hassle; in fact, it can be the most enjoyable part of the holiday season, all you need is the right attitude and a wise plan of attack!

Vanessa is a third year student at the University of Toronto. She is majoring in Employment Relations with double minors in Sociology and Human Geography. She is excited to start the Fall 2012 year as the new Campus Correspondent after a year of being a contributing writer for the Chapter. She will be studying abroad at the University of Oxford during the summer of 2012, hoping to come back with many experiences to write about. Aside from her studies and Her Campus responsibilities, Vanessa has a great appreciation for style, health and fitness, travel, and the finest dining experiences Toronto has to offer.