Farm, Arts & Crafts; an Afternoon in Cabbagetown

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

As every collegiette at the University of Toronto is aware, Toronto is divided into many diverse and historical neighbourhoods. From Little Italy (College and Bathurst) to Chinatown (Spadina and Dundas), each individual neighbourhood has their own unique and rich history to share.  This weekend, I was excited to explore one of the most historical neighbourhoods in Toronto through the Cabbagetown 26th Annual Arts & Craft Sale.  Coincidently, the lovely Riverdale Farm was nearby where the festival was taking place. This provided me the unique opportunity to experience the tranquility of farm life in the city.

Ongoing for the entire weekend, the energy at Cabbagetown Arts & Crafts Sale was that of a lively and energetic block party. The streets of neighbourhood were closed to make way for the numerous different local vendors, ranging from artisanal crafts to furniture. A lovely addition to the festival was the surprising amount of live bands that were entertaining the crowd. At approximately every block, there was a different band, and in total there were at least 11 different live groups! The musical styling of the groups ranged from Jazz, Blues, to Indie-Rock. A personal favorite of mine was The Turks, a band consisting of four Toronto cuties with a sound that resembled the Arctic Monkeys.  For the collegiate that loves indie-rock, I definitely suggest checking them out. Strangely enough, the street festival taking place on the streets of Cabbagetown was only just a teaser for the actual Arts & Crafts sale. As I walked around the Parliament and Carlton, the individual yard sales led me further and further into the rows of historical Cabbagetown houses.

An interesting fact on the origin of Cabbagetown’s name, it’s said that the name is derived from early Irish immigrants who populated that area and grew cabbages on their front lawn. The neighbourhood itself is also home to the largest number of historically recognized and preserved Victorian houses in North America, according to the Cabbagetown Preservation Organization. As I took a stroll in this antique Toronto neighbourhood, I finally ended up at the sale located right outside the entrance to Riverdale Farm. The actual Arts & Crafts sale was similar to a farmer’s market. There was a plethora of artisanal soaps, accessories, and even Christmas ornaments. As well, there was also a handful of delicious treats, such as maple syrup flavored goodies. After I downed a couple of the sweet and delicious maple syrup treats at the festival, I made my way to Riverdale Farm and experienced a different type of rustic sweetness.

Riverdale farm is located in right beside the Don Valley Highway. It’s an urban farm with an assortment of the cutest farm animals. From horses, to pigs, and chickens, it’s the perfect place to experience rustic country life without leaving the city. The farm experience from my point-of-view was as authentic as it could be. There were barns, gardens, and horse stables that were open to the public and filled with lively and cheerful animals.  As well, Riverdale farm employee operated stalls that sold the most delicious and healthy looking organic veggies. What a perfect place for a picnic, or date for a collegiate who loves animals, and nature! As an added bonus, the Riverdale farm is on the route of the Don Valley Discovery Walk (one out of the numerous hiking trails within Toronto). 

My experience at Cabbagetown today is a reminder to us all that the different neighbourhoods in Toronto all have something unique to offer. Although I have been a Torontonian myself for all my life, I have never explored Cabbagetown, and Riverdale farm this way before. I had an amazing time discovering unique history of Cabbagetown, and I will definitely be packing a picnic basket for two the next time I visit Riverdale Farm. 

Karen Li

U Toronto

Book & Media,Visual Studies + Writing and Rhetoric. 1T6 20 something-female at the University of Toronto with a penchant for spotting the best Thai restaurant around. When she is not optimizing the perfect take-out order, she can be found writing about culture, media, and lifestyle at her blog, http://www.plasticconfetti.wordpress.com