Cancelled Shows You Should Be Watching Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

I am probably one of the last people left in the world who still rents DVDs from an actual brick and mortar store and not Netflix or iTunes. It’s great to be able to support local business but simply put, I love TV, and renting DVDs allows me to indulge my love of TV shows without going broke. More importantly though, it gives me the opportunity to watch series that I didn’t watch when they were actually on TV or shows that were prematurely cancelled. Here are some of my favourite cancelled TV shows that you should check out:

• Firefly – I love Nathan Fillion and Firefly is one of my favourite shows of all time. Firefly fans have kept the love for this 2002 series alive even though it has been a decade since the show was cancelled and its original run consisted of only 14 episodes. This futuristic sci-fi show is simultaneously funny, intelligent, and endearing. The cast is fantastic and so is writer, director, and producer Joss Whedon. (Photo Source)
  • My Boys- this is my go to show when I need something light hearted and relaxed. Set in Chicago, the cast of My Boys is genuinely believable as a group of friends who love their city, their baseball and their beer. While it is easy to write off this show as another show about people in their late twenties and early thirties dealing with the same old common TV show themes of finding love or finding the right job in the city, at the heart of My Boys is a simple and uncomplicated show about friendship and friends that are always there for each other.
  • Boy Meets World (or any other 90s show)- revisit your childhood by rewatching this classic 90s TV show. Yes, these shows can be cheesy and they tend to repeat story lines but they are fun to watch and they are the perfect way to spend an evening in after a stressful day of balancing school, work, extracurriculars, and just the everyday stresses of life in general. And with rumors of a Boy Meets World sequel in the works, it could be fun to remind yourself why you loved this show to begin with.
  • Gilmore Girls- another favourite of mine, Gilmore Girls is witty, fun, and filled with pop culture references and drama as the titular characters navigate their way through every obstacle life throws at them. Gilmore Girls teaches us to value friends and family and to fill our lives with an amazing cast of characters, whether real or fictional. This show will make you cry, laugh, and want to run home to hug your mother- possibly even all in the same scene. (Photo Source)
  • Every BBC adaptation of a Jane Austen novel. Ever. Anyone that knows me knows how much of a homebody I am. I am definitely that girl who stays in on Thursday nights watching Jane Austen adaptations or re-reading Pride and Prejudice… again. Without a doubt, the BBC adaptations of Austen’s novels have made me love her books that much more and I could not recommend them enough.

So head over to your local video store and rent a DVD, you won’t regret it! It’s a great way to beef up your pop culture knowledge and works well as a cheap alternative for spending a night in with friends or your significant other. What cancelled shows do you recommend? Let me know in the comments below!  

Natalie has recently completed her second year at the University of Toronto with a double major in History and Ethics, Society, and Law. She is excited to bring Her Campus to U of T and seeing it expand its presence in Canada. She is also active in the school's Model United Nations circles and numerous organizations off campus and is best described as a political and pop culture junkie. Born and raised in Toronto, she is blindingly proud of everything the city has to offer including the best school in the country, no matter what Macleans says, and its sports teams, no matter how many times they may lose or miss the playoffs.