The Best Science Museums to Visit in Ontario

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Are you interested in science? Or maybe you just want something fun to do during the day or over the weekend. Either way, consider visiting an Ontario science museum! There are three museums located in Toronto, Sudbury, and Ottawa, so you can choose to stay local or make a trip out of it. Read on to learn more about the museums and some of the fun exhibits at each of them! 

Ontario Science Centre | Toronto

Want something fun to do as a day trip? Try checking out the Ontario Science Centre in North York! Since this is one of the first interactive science museums in the world, there are tons of exhibits and installations to see. There’s an exhibit celebrating Canada’s sesquicentennial, multiple Imax films, a hands-on learning space called the Inventorium, and a lot more! For students, the museum is only $16 (with a valid T-Card) and $22 for adults. 

Science North | Sudbury 

Want to get out of Toronto for a bit? If you’re really interested in science, Science North in Sudbury is the place to go. It has nearly 50 exhibitions to check out, ranging from a Butterfly Gallery with 400 free-flying tropical butterflies to a Flight Simulator where you can learn about the physics of flight. In addition to exhibits, Science North has an Escape Room, a Planetarium, and an Imax Theater so you have a large range of activities to choose from during your visit! Science North costs $22 for an adult (or $20 if you’re less than 17 years old). This is one of the biggest attractions in Northern Ontario, so if you’re in the area make sure to go! 

Canada Science and Technology Museum | Ottawa 

If you’re looking for something fun to do for the weekend or during reading week, consider visiting Ottawa and checking out the Canada Science and Technology Museum! There are so many cool things to do here. There are a total of 20 current, traveling, and virtual exhibits that the museum boasts. A few of the standout exhibits are “Steam: A World in Motion” which takes a look at steam transportation in Canada from 1900 to 1960 and “Artifact Alley” which has 700 artifacts from cameras to telescopes to trade literature. Visit when you have a chance for only $13 (with a valid student card) or $17 for adults! 

If you have a chance to visit any of these museums, definitely do! A museum is a fun way to not only spend the day and get out of your house but to also learn something new and have some fun doing it. 

ThumbnailImage 1 | Image 2 | Image 3 

Emme Anderson is a 3rd year Rotman Commerce student who is also pursuing a minor in economics. In her free time, you'll probably find her scrolling through her News Feed or catching up on her favorite Netflix shows. She is also an avid (and unashamed) lover of cats and dogs and follows an unnecessary amount of dog instagrams. Feel free to check out her instagram @emmeandersonn !