All About Face Masks and Why You Need to Try Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Toronto chapter.

Edited by Sophia Savva

During the busy exam season, many students forget to take time to focus on themselves. A great way to relieve stress and relax after a long day of studying is to pamper yourself. Recently, I’ve gotten into face masks, and I would definitely recommend them to anyone who has never tried them out before. They can be great for your skin, and they’re nice to do while you read a book or just winding down after a long day.

If you’re just getting into face masks, I would recommend getting started with a simple sheet mask. Be sure to check the ingredients to ensure that you’re not allergic to anything to avoid a reaction. A great place to find a simple sheet mask is The Face Shop, which you can find in malls in and around Toronto (they also have an online website!)

They have a variety of different masks in different scents like pomegranate, peony, blueberry and avocado. They also have masks that are meant to moisturize your skin, firm your face, brighten it up and more. If you’re someone who has sensitive skin, I would avoid the mascream sheets. It’s possible that it may work for you, but I’ve noticed that the mascream sheets, specifically, have caused breakouts. They often have deals when you buy masks in bulk, a rewards program, and–when you go in store–free samples.

There are also tons of other fun masks that you can try out. There are masks that look like cartoon characters and animal faces, which adds a bit of whimsy to the cleansing process. Also, there have been recent trends of people using lip masks, bubble masks, as well as masks that are made of gold. These specialty masks, especially the gold mask, can be quite pricey, but they are a nice way to treat yourself every once in a while.

If you don’t to want spend money on masks, but still want to try out skin care products, you can try out a DIY face mask. DIY face masks are not only fun to do, but they are also nice because you can ensure all the ingredients used are natural.

So, if you are feeling stressed and need a way to relax, try out a face masks. They will make you feel good, and make your skin feel good–whether you buy one or make your own.