Heather Scott, Purple Plant Smoothies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at USFCA chapter.

If you haven’t tried one of the three amazing smoothies in the Market Cafe, you are missing out on what our USF alumni has blended! Be sure to check out Heather Scott’s website and Facebook and try one of her smoothies the next time you’re in the caf. (We recommend adding some kale or spinach, you can’t even taste it!)

What inspired you to start Purple Plant Smoothies? 
I saw a trend where busy people on the go were having a hard time finding healthy food options. Being able to eat greens regularly, too, is one of those things that is tough for a busy person.

I’m truly passionate about helping to educate people about good health, and smoothies are the way I’ve chosen to do it! I also started Purple Plant Smoothies as way to support local farming communities as well, given that these are the people who make our delicious, fresh produce available. :)

What sets you apart from other smoothie companies? 
I take a lot of pride in providing a high quality, truly pure and healthy food item to people that tastes great! We never put any added sugars in our drinks, we offer kales and spinach in our smoothies and the fruit we use is seasonal and purchased from local farmers within days of when we serve our smoothies.

Why did you choose the name Purple Plant?
Great question! There is actually a purple colored kale. I felt like this was a great name, as it helps to show how creative you can be with your food. Eating healthy can be a fun, new and creative experience.  

How did your company motto, “Be healthy. Feel great. Love life,” come about?
I truly believe that if you’re healthy (eat the right foods and get some regular exercise), you’ll feel great and really love life.

What would you say is one of the most rewarding parts of your job? 
I absolutely love being able to create a really healthy tasty drink that people can enjoy while improving their health. Knowing that I’m truly serving pure, fresh and healthy food to people is amazing! 

I also love being able to visit elementary schools in the Bay Area to help educate them about good health through our smoothies. This is very rewarding as well. 

Any personal favorite smoothie flavors?
I actually really love the Nuttin’ Honey if I’m hungry and want to have a ton of greens. At the same time, berry and orange smoothies are also great and refreshing for when I want something light.

When should we expect you in the caf?
I will be in the caf next week every day, then from there, we’ll be able to work out a more consistent schedule. We are envisioning a 3-day a week set up. So excited about it!

What advice would you give to students who want to start a business in the future? 
Never quit. The hardest moments are those when you’re on the brink of something amazing. The mantra I say to myself is: “You only fail if you quit.” 

Coming across Her Campus as a senior in high school and then leading her very own branch, Emily proudly calls herself the co-president and editor-in-chief of Her Campus University of San Francisco. While Emily has a guilty addiction to shopping, celebrities, and all things "girly" she hopes that she can integrate this into a relatable magazine to the women of her campus. Emily has a slight infatuation for John Krasinski and Joseph Gordon-Levitt. When she's not day dreaming about her future husbands, Emily is participating in many extra curricular activities such as her sorority, Kappa Alpha Theta. Emily enjoys good company, good FOOD, and a good ole' television. One of the most recent television series Emily has become a fan of is ABC's Pan Am. If only Pan Am continued to exist, Emily would have seriously considered becoming a stewardess. The success of the branch has yet to blossom. Emily hopes that she can bring Her Campus University of San Francisco to its full potential. In the future, Emily plans studying abroad all over the European continent and pursue her passion of social justice through fashion.