Why I Love My Sorority: Sorority Presidents Weigh In

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

Whether you’re a freshman or an upper classman, over this upcoming week your life might just revolve around the craziness that is rush. For those of you deciding which sorority might be the best fit, here are few thoughts from a few sorority presidents on what is unique about her chapter.

Get all the inside scoop on rush from Her Campus UPenn

The quotations in this story were provided before the formal recruitment period. Sorority presidents not represented in this article did not respond to a request for comment.

Jen Chaquette, Alpha Chi Omega: “Alpha Chi Omega is unique because of the incredible diversity of our sorority.  We come from all over the world and partake in numerous activities across campus but can be ourselves in AXO.  I love AXO for the bonds I’ve created and the experiences I’ve had as a sister.”

Bridget Ercole, Alpha Phi: “I love Alpha Phi because our ritual, social and philanthropy events, retreats, and weekly meetings unite us to form the strong sisterhood that is central to our chapter. Whether we are piled on top of the living room couches to watch the newest episode of Modern Family, fighting to be the loudest member of the audience at a sister’s a capella show, or laughing at our weekly lineage dinner with our “big sisters,” we never miss a chance to spend time together. I have no doubt that the best friends I met on bid night will be the ones watching me walk down the aisle and with me celebrating life’s biggest milestones; that is something I, like all the members of our chapter, will forever cherish about Alpha Phi.”

Abbie Golden, Chi Omega: “Through Chi Omega I have the opportunity to give back to the Penn community in a way that no other organization provides and impact others around me by upholding our mission as a fraternity. Seeing the difference we can make as a group has been one of the highlights of my time at Penn. What sets Chi O apart is our emphasis on sisterhood above all and because of this I have made true friends that will stay with me long after graduation.”

Selina Vellani, Delta Delta Delta: “Tri Deltas love to talk about Delta Sparkle, the x-factor characteristic of each confident, compassionate, strong, and ambitious member of Tri Delta. We care about meaningful and supportive friendships and prove it every day. I think Tri Delta is unique because each member’s achievement is an achievement for this chapter.”

Jais Tollette, Kappa Alpha Theta: “The Thetas at Penn are so special because we are a group of truly diverse women. We are proud to have dancers, singers, athletes, and campus leaders. One thing we love about our chapter is that we have a lot of international presence; being ESL (english as a second language) is not uncommon for women in the chapter, and we are constantly being exposed to different cultures and customs. Our chapter does embody a spirit of diversity, yet, regardless of if you are an athlete or a musician, from Singapore or Alabama, we all bring something interesting and unique to the table, and come together to form an exciting, fun-loving, and cohesive group.”

Sophia Stylianos, Sigma Kappa: “I love Sigma Kappa because, although our sisters are very diverse and are involved in lots of different groups on campus, we all share one thing in common– a genuine love for each other. Sigma Kappa is unique because it is as close to a real family as you will find here at Penn (a family of 170 girls, that is!). The women of Sigma Kappa are laid-back but are always there to support a sister– ready to go out when you need to forget about those last 3 midterms, sitting front-row center in the audience at your show, or cheering you on from the crowd at your game!”

Emily Sax, Sigma Delta Tau: “I love SDT because of the friendly, kind, and fun character of the girls in the house. Each member is unique and talented in her own way, yet everybody comes together to create this welcoming spirit that is obvious from the first day of rush. SDT is much more than just a social organization, it is truly a sisterhood. The kitchen isn’t too bad either!”

Are you rushing this semester? Take our poll

Grace Ortelere is a senior at the University of Pennsylvania, pursuing a psychology major. She writes about crime and is an assistant news editor for her school's student newspaper, the Daily Pennsylvanian. Grace went abroad to Paris for a semester, where she babysat for a French family and traveled to many other cities--her favorite was Barcelona! She's social chair of her sorority, Sigma Kappa, and likes to ski, hike and paraglide.