This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

It’s hard to believe that it’s April. It seems like yesterday that it was August, and I was unpacking and moving into my closet-sized dorm room in Hill College House during NSO, sweating from the lack of air conditioning. I remember sitting at the very desk I’m sitting at right now, trying to take everything in. It hadn’t quite hit me yet that when my mom hugged me and left that I was suddenly going to be a college student, independent, and finally without the rules of my parents. It was also weird to think that my roommate who I had never met before was going to be living a mere 6 inches from me for nine months, or that I was going to be completely surrounded by hundreds of kids I had never met before. It was scary, overwhelming, and exciting.

NSO was exactly what I imagined life as a college student would be like. Since I’m on the swim team, the upperclassmen welcomed the new freshmen with open arms: they sent out funny emails of what was going on and where to be on which nights. We party-hopped and I used a fake for the first time (gasp!!) to get into none other than The Blarney Stone. I spent those few days rushing around campus with complete strangers, seemingly surrounded by a whirlwind of activity. It was awesome, and college was awesome, and I was so excited to spend my next four years at Penn because everything was great and there were no rules and no parents and tons of parties and everyone was happy…

And then classes started and NSO came to an end. I remember attending my first Wharton class. I was literally afraid to utter one word because I was intimidated by all of the other students in the room. I was overwhelmed walking around campus trying to find where everything was, and I felt like a small speck in the crowded space that was Penn’s campus. It took me a long time to get settled into a routine, between swim practice and classes. I felt constantly overwhelmed. Suddenly on top of navigating a new environment and a new set of responsibilities, I had to make friends and have an active social life (including drinking more than I ever had in high school), find time to eat properly, figure out how to do my laundry (what?!)… oh yeah, and get some sleep too.

I also faced a unique set of circumstances. I have a twin sister who I’ve never spent more than a week apart from in my life. Suddenly we weren’t together every day and she was starting school in a completely different state. Between our hectic schedules we barely had time to speak regularly, which was unnerving to me. I’ve also dealt with extreme anxiety for most of my life. As I was completely uprooted from everything I knew and transplanted in a foreign place and forced to reconstruct a completely new routine for myself, I faced frequent anxiety attacks and found it difficult to manage my stress.

Eventually though, I settled into school. I had an amazing time being on the swim team with a great group of girls, met incredible people in my classes and got involved in student groups on campus. But I would be lying if I said that it didn’t take a while for me to feel comfortable at Penn. However, this isn’t unusual. Everyone faces a different set of challenges when they first come to school as a Freshman, although they may not always talk about it. As a high schooler when my college friends came back home they’d always talk about how much they loved school. What they didn’t talk about was how it took some time to get to that point. But it did, and the transition period is difficult for everyone; although to varying degrees and in different ways. I’d argue that anyone who says that their first few months at school wasn’t a ‘transition period’ is straight up lying.

College is a learning process. And it isn’t all butterflies, rainbows, fun frat parties and free booze. Sometimes it can be scary, challenging, and stressful. There have been a few key things I’ve learned this year.

I’ve learned my limits: in every sense of the word: I’ve learned how much I can push myself in school, athletics, drinking, and general responsibilities

I’ve learned to give myself a break and not to take on too much at once. Sometimes you just need to relax for a day, watch some Netflix and unwind

I’ve learned to take care of myself both physically and mentally. It’s no shocker that tons of freshmen get mono or get sick very often. I’ve learned that sleep is the most important medicine, and eating healthy and exercising regularly are crucial.

I’ve learned the value of money – all college students realize that when their parents aren’t there to stock the fridge at home, groceries and eating out can be expensive. Those cab rides, cover charges, CVS runs and late night insomnia orders add up quickly.

I’ve learned to do my laundry – sue me; I never washed my clothes before college. This is obviously a chore we all dread, but staying on top of it is necessary because you really will run out of clothes and struggle to find clean stuff to wear.

I’ve learned how to move out of my comfort zone– From talking to new people, or challenging myself to try something new (whether it be whatever strange looking food they’re serving in commons, or maybe just joining a new club).

I’ve learned when to ask for help– and reach out to the people I’m close to when I need advice, help, or just appreciate having someone to talk to.

And more recently, I’ve learned to make decisions that will make myself happy in the long run

Now I’m not trying to suggest I’ve reached the pinnacle of my life’s knowledge or that freshmen year is an eye-opening experience that makes you some sort of all-knowing prophet. What I am saying is that being on your own for the first time tests you and challenges you even though you might not realize it. Freshman year is a transition- one that incoming college students don’t really understand until they experience it.