The Unnecessary Hype Around The Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Penn chapter.

By Katherine Yeagley

This past weekend were the holiest of holidays. Halloween and Homecoming happened to fall on the same weekend. This is super exciting if you’re a chill human who doesn’t make a big deal about holidays and just goes with the flow. However, if you’re like the majority of Penn students, you have zero chill and very high expectations. Even though you had four assignments the week before, you also needed to find time to put together a sexy and incredibly witty Halloween costume. You go out and you think maybe it’s acceptable to lay low on Saturday. But there are day parties and the football game and you know you’ll get talked into that as well. Then Saturday night you’re definitely exhausted but if you don’t show face at Smokes did you really go out at all?

This is all to say that holidays receive unnecessary hype. I know that I feel this way and I’ve heard similar sentiments echoed by friends. So many times it’s the nights where last minute plans fall into place or the big plans are cancelled in favor of a house movie night that stand out. Homecoming is great, but I would choose a karaoke and dance party night with my close friends over being stuck in someone’s crowded backyard any day. What I hope you get from reading this brief train of thought from a Penn SWUG (senior washed up girl, for those that still are unsure) is that you’re not alone in thinking that Halloween downtowns are a bit overrated. So to anyone feeling let down by the Halloween/Homecoming weekend festivities, don’t worry. You’re not alone. 

Lydia Roberts is a junior at the University of Pennsylvania.  She is majoring in Communication and minoring in Gender, Sexuality, and Women's Studies, and also in French Studies.  She is an enthusiastic member of an a capella group at Penn and has a affinity for sour gummy candy.