Your Ottawa Summer Destination

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

In case you didn’t get your fill of Ottawa over the academic year (or if you’re returning from an exchange), there are lots of things to do this summer in Canada’s capital! With Canada’s 150th birthday, Ottawa is hosting to tons of events throughout the year. Some of the notable events that have already happened include hosting Red Bull Crashed Ice and the Juno Awards. Wondering what’s to come this summer? Here’s what we found:

If you like racing, this is the thing for you. Red Bull Global Rallycross is coming to Canada for the first time and is bringing with it a lot of excitement. The event will take place on June 17 & 18 at the Canada Aviation and Space Museum and Rockcliffe Airport. The course features wide-open corners and straightaways, along with a 70-foot jump to the finish line. Tickets are available online and at the door on the day of race!

Fancy a picnic? How about one that lets you be two places at once? The Interprovincial Picnic on the Bridge will take place on the Alexandra Bridge in Downtown Ottawa on July 2. The bridge will be closed to traffic, covered in a green space and offer food and entertainment for all attendees. You can take in beautiful views of Quebec and Ontario while eating with friends and family. Sound interesting to you? Visit the Ottawa 2017 website for details.

Take your dining to new heights with the Sky Lounge, which will be at Ottawa City Hall from July 7-22. The Sky Lounge is a dinner table/bar suspended 150 feet in the air. The views will be priceless, your adrenaline will be pumping and the food will be delicious! You can go for either cocktails or a gourmet dinner. If this thrilling experience interests you, pricing and tickets are available online on the Ottawa 2017 website.

As always, the Ottawa Bluesfest returns for another year of good music and fun times. Headliners for this year include Toby Keith, Melissa Etheridge, 50 Cent, Muse, P!nk, Tom Petty and Flume. Other artists include A Tribe Called Red, The Shins and Twin Flames. Tickets and multi-day passes are available online. Interested in volunteering instead? Applications open in May.

Finally, the cream of the crop of Ottawa events in Canada Day. With Canada Day falling on a Saturday this year, Canada Day festivities will be lasting through the weekend, with live music both on Parliament Hill and throughout the city of Ottawa. Learn the history of Canada through games and activities and watch the fireworks at the end of the night. 

Canada, on behalf of all of us at HCuOttawa, happy 150th birthday! Collegiettes, now is the time to spend some of your summer in Ottawa. We hope to see you roaming the streets of Ottawa in the coming months. 

Sources: Cover Photo

Avid baby goat enthusiast who crossed the border from Boston, MA to study at uOttawa. I love writing about anything and everything!