What It’s Like To Have Celiac Disease

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

People start commenting on how much weight you’ve lost.  At first you think that all those fitness classes are finally kicking in, but then when you can easily count all your ribs you wonder if something might be up.

When you’re glutened, you feel tired all the time and have to deal with horrible stomach pains. 

You have to deal with getting unexpectedly glutened. You don’t know where or how…but it happens…and it hits you like a ton of bricks all at once and usually when you’re in public. This always calls for express trips to the washroom.

Two words: cross contamination. Makes eating out incredibly difficult.

You long for bread that’s not the size of a cracker, that doesn’t crumble at the slightest touch, that isn’t crazy expensive, or that isn’t full of holes (bread should NOT look like Swiss cheese.

Going to parties and events makes you feel left out or like a burden. No beavertails on the canal for you.

You feel like you have to defend yourself when you ask for gluten free options.  No I’m not doing this because all the celebrities said it will help me lose weight and no I’m not trying to get attention!

Feeling so frustrated at people who eat gluten free even though they have no idea what gluten even is.

You have to check the ingredients in literally everything you eat.

Trying to convert all your old recipes into gluten free recipes.

Salad….So. Much. Salad. I am not a rabbit.

Do you have celiac? If so, let me know if you can relate to any of these!

References:

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12

Rebecca is a fourth year student at the University of Ottawa studying Biomedical Science with a minor in business.