What Every Traveler Should Read

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

If we had to pick one buzzword for Gen Y, it would either be travel or social media. Gen Y has been born into a world of immense possibilities where connectedness has pushed the boundaries of travel in ways our grandparents could have only ever dreamed of. Travel is not a way of escape, but rather an opportunity to learn more about yourself and what your place in this large but oh so tiny world is. If you are not absolutely head over heels for wanderlust, than you have not found the style of travel that suits you best. HC U Ottawa has compiled a list of our top five favorite blogs to help get you get inspired to travel your way. Bonus: looking through these blogs will also help you get over those reading-week-is-over-and-winter-doesn’t-seem-to-be-ending-anytime-soon blues.

1. Perfect Day Abroad

www.perfectdayabroad.wordpress.com

This blog is for the more alternative and cultured traveler. Each post describes a perfect day in various cities around the world. Its focus is more on the ambiance of a particular place as opposed to touristy attractions. If you’re a foodie with a love for all things fashion and art this travel blog is perfect for you.

Our favorite post: “Paris

2. Beyond The Edge- National Geographic Traveler

adventureblog.nationalgeographic.com

This blog is for the adventurous wanderers. It features various blurbs and gorgeous pictures of travelers doing unconventional trips. The contributors are diverse and as such the blog has a variety of different styles and narratives. If you have a taste for photography and enjoy the unexpected, this blog is for you.

Our favorite post:  “Navigations: Thus Spake Zarathustra – Winter Hiking in the Grand Canyon

3. Nomadic Matt

www.nomadicmatt.com

This blog is for the frugal traveler. Nomadic Matt has everything from how to pick a proper credit card for a trip to buying good travel insurance. It is the blog ideal for any one on a tight budget while traveling (which let’s face it, is most students!). The tips and posts are very practical and offer the reader hands-on advice.

Our favorite post: “6 Ways to Avoid Staying in a Bad Hostel

4. Bald Hiker

www.baldhiker.com

This blog is perfect for the nature-lover. If you adore gorgeous pictures of remote places of the world you will enjoy Paul Steele’s blog. The posts are refreshing and will inspire you travel to the lesser-known destinations of the world. If you enjoy camping & hiking while traveling, this website is for you.

Our favorite post: “Zanzibar- Africa’s exotic spice island

5. Find.Eat.Drink

www.findeatdrink.com

The foodie within all of us will love this blog. The website offers city guides on what to eat and drink. Plus, all the recommendations come from expert chefs and sommeliers. Although their recommendations are not always student budget friendly, it is the perfect go-to for that one night abroad you want to sit down and have a classy meal and/or cocktail.

Our favorite post: “La Prosciutteria- Florence, Italy ”