etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

UO APP: Safety first … then party time !

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

The University of Ottawa’s guide to … partying in clubs !

Partying seems to be one of the many outlets us students use to forget about school and all that we endure on a daily basis. For some this might involve getting “white-girl-wasted”, “plastered”, and that is ok, go crazy at your own discretion. However, safety is an important aspect of partying, that you should think about. A couple of weeks ago, thousands of young people in Brazil were reminded about the importance of safety.  Unfortunately, due to some technical malfunctions, what was supposed to be a harmless fun night out left hundreds dead. As a fire bursted into flames at the night club, it left thousands of youth desperate to get out and unfortunately some did not make it out alive. Club tragedies like this happen more often than most realize. Whether it is a fire or an overheated fight, youth find themselves packed into a place where they cannot get out, and where their safety is put in jeopardy. Yes these things happen in Canada and not only abroad. 

At the scene of the club fire in Brazil

Students rarely think about safety hazards before or during the time they are at the venue. So before we pretend to study during reading week and head on a plane to Mexico, bus home or hit up the clubs downtown, there are a few things we have to keep in mind while we ride the wave of procrastination.

Here is the easiest thing you can do: actually know where you can get out! Scan the place as you get into the club and find out where at least one of the exists is. This literally takes 10 seconds to do but most of us do not even think to do it. I’m sure you’ll be happy to know how to get out of there if anything bad happens, especially if that creepy guy will not leave you alone and you and your girls have to sprint to the exit. Don’t be stuck in a club when you don’t want to be!

Things can get crowded really fast. We expect clubs to be pretty busy: you do not want to be the only one busting a move on the dance floor right? But if you find that the place is too crowed to the point where you personally know the curves of the girl’s body behind you, you don’t know whose sweat is all over you, and you’re getting your feet stepped on by 6 inch heels, you probably don’t want to be there anyway. Some clubs do not follow the maximum capacity laws at home or abroad, so sometimes it is just up to your judgement.

Watch out your drinks ! Whether it is how much you are drinking or what you are drinking, know your limits ! While alcohol poisoning can cause important damages to your body, roofies in drinks is more common than we think. If you are driving somewhere, you hopefully have a designated driver to drive you around. However, often students do not have cars: we use the beauty that is public transit or use our two feet to go out! At home, we tend to know most people when we got out, but when you are somewhere on vacation, you should be a little smarter about your going out habits. It is always really smart to have one of your friends that is not as intoxicated as you may be with you.  Also, there is always that one friend, or friend of a friend who does not drink so invite them along. Be generous and pay for cover or a cab back home as a thank you for taking care of your drunken butt. This way you will always have someone there to watch your back and be responsible when you’re incoherent.

Finally, of course have fun during reading week, but be smart and safe about your partying ! If you’re going abroad to party it up then make sure you take precautions and know where exactly you are and how to get home at all time. Always trust your intuition, better be safe than sorry! Even though most of us do not take safety seriously when we go out, it is definitely something to think about and consider every time you party it up !                     

Photo Credits

www.theguardian.pe.ca

www.kharkovinfo.com

The name's Brittany Skerritt and I am a first year student at uOttawa. Originally from Toronto, I moved to Ottawa because it is a beautiful place to be and uOttawa is the best place to study International Development. I am currently a writer for HC uOttawa and I hope everyone enjoys my pieces! Go Gee-Gees! -Britt