This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

She’s come a long way from small town New Liskeard, where from humble beginnings sparked a bright-eyed child with a curiosity for everything and anything. She’s always had this sense of adventure, journeying through life fully and unorthodoxly. She’s a risk-taker, an overachiever, a game-changer.

Meet Amelie Mongrain: A Canadian-born, Shanghai-based fashion designer, and the creator of Tush Skivvies.

It’s through hard work, determination, and a nearly enviable drive to succeed that she now holds the title of the “18 year Chinese expat, running two companies and owning her own underwear label.” For some reason, this never fails to trigger curiosity.

After having studied fashion design in Montreal, at the age of 22, she was offered a job teaching it in Shanghai, China. It was the start of a long journey for Amelie, who spent the next two decades learning the ins and outs of fashion industry through multiple jobs teaching, designing, sourcing and manufacturing.

With the experience she gained over the years, it was finally time for her to create her own label.   The idea came one morning, as she was getting dressed. She noticed the feel of her underwear, and thats all it took to spark an idea that is now one of the most exciting things to enter the underwear market.

About the Brand

“Redefining Underwear – From the softness of modal to a built-in condom pocket, we bring comfort and protection to a whole new level.”

Fun, innovative and cheeky, Tush Skivvies goes beyond typical underwear. With a variety of fits for both men and women, each style is crafted to echo different attitudes.

From the Exhibitionist to the Smooth Criminal, Tush tempts the consumer to explore their inner nature. Complimented with a dynamic scheme of colors and prints, the softness of its core fabric, and in most cases a built-in condom pocket, Tush brings its wearer in a unique experience. 

Tush Take Action

As a social initiative, Tush takes a stand :

“The fight against AIDS, STD’s and teenage pregnancy is one that affects people from around the globe. Being in the underwear industry, we strongly believe we can have a positive influence in bringing awareness to practicing safe sex. To start, we created the condom pocket as a means to encourage people to protect themselves by always having a condom on hand. To take it a bit further, we created a special collection named Tush Takes Action.”

“Our fun and unique designs are aimed to spark conversation and make people think. We see a lot of potential in this approach to building awareness to safe sex, and we’re excited to take it a step further.”

Tush on Kickstarter

With the first collection complete, an established brand identity, and a clear roadmap of where they are heading, Amelie is turning to Kickstarter, a crowd-funding platform, to fund her first production. Although crowd-funding isn’t the easiest route to take, she believes it is the most rewarding and sustainable of them all. Putting people at the heart of Tush from the very start will allow for better collaboration!

Tush is set to raise $25,000 by December 7th! Already more than halfway through the campaign, Amelie needs all of the support she can get! You can help her by pledging at:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/553559562/tush-skivvies

Not only will this help Tush become reality, you get some of the first pairs of Tush Skivvies delivered to your doorstep!

Having fought long and hard in a competitive industry, Amelie is quickly making a name for herself in the field. With remarkable designs and a striking concept, she is headed for success. An adventurer at heart, she stops at nothing and is known far and wide for taking on big challenges, always pushing her limits. It’s this drive, hard work, and love for life that led her to where she is today. She will stop at nothing to live life at its fullest.