Travelling Shouldn’t be Terrifying

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Remember the horror of World War I, the “war to end all wars”? Remember when Adolf Hitler killed millions of Jewish people, creating one of the biggest acts of anti-Semitism in history? Remember September 11, 2001? All of these events have one thing in common – terror. People were scared; they didn’t know what to do, what to think, or where to go. Yet here we are in modern days and we still have to worry about experiencing terror. With major incidents such as the Paris attacks in November, the Bastille Day attack in Nice, and multiple deadly car bombings in the Middle East, it’s hard to not be afraid. Some days I’m not sure I want to open Twitter and read the news in case of another attack occurring somewhere. Yet I, and many other students, still decide to take the plunge and participate in an exchange semester abroad.

I decided in January that I was going to participate in an exchange semester. Did the Paris attacks deter me from choosing France? I would be lying if I said no. It definitely did cross my mind that France might not be the safest anymore. After choosing and being accepted to the Copenhagen Business School, I started to create my list of places to visit. London, Prague, Budapest… the list was endless. I wasn’t sure about other places though – places I have wanted to see my whole life. Once upon a time I wanted to visit Brussels, but now it’s scratched off the list. With one link to terrorism, I would have been cautious but comfortable. With as many terrorism links as there are now, I’ve decided that I would feel better if I didn’t go. Many other students feel the same way that I do, choosing universities where they feel safer rather than their dream exchange.

If there’s one thing I’ve learned from growing up in an age of terrorism, it’s that you can’t let fear get in the way of living in your life. You can’t stay in your safe protective bubble and limit a potential adventure. Terror can hit closer to home than you think, as well. I never thought that two men from Chechnya would set off two bombs during the Boston Marathon (my home city in 2014). I never would have thought that some guy would shoot a soldier near the War Memorial and try to storm Parliament in my first year living in Ottawa. I never thought my little safe havens could be the target of terror, yet they were. It’s impossible to know where or when terror will strike, so cowering from the world will never help you.

While you shouldn’t hide, you should still be cautious. If you’re traveling to a foreign country, you should have the address, telephone number and email address of your country’s embassy or consulate in your wallet. Keep your family and friends informed of where you are. Be cautious, but don’t be afraid. Living in fear is letting terrorists win, and no one wants terrorism to win. Go see the world, go visit your friends, and go live your life. There’s so much to see and do.

Editor’s Note: This article reflects the opinion of the writer.

Sources: Cover Photo, 1, Photo provided by writer.

Avid baby goat enthusiast who crossed the border from Boston, MA to study at uOttawa. I love writing about anything and everything!