diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
diego ph fIq0tET6llw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

So, You Want to be a Fashion Blogger?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

After scrolling down your Instagram feed and gazing at ultra-glamorous shots of fabulous bloggers such as Aimee Song or the Beckerman sisters, you’ve decided it’s time to start a blog of your own. Great! Being a fashion blogger is an awesome way to get your foot in the industry and show your love for all things fashion. Here’s 5 tips to get started as a blogger:

1. Flawless Name

Sit down, grab a pen, and brainstorm! The name of your blog is a great way to show what you’re about and stand out. You want it to be easy to spell (makes googling easier) and easy to remember.

2. Find a Host

This is how your vision comes alive on a webpage. There are several hosting options, all with their own pros and cons. You might want to start off with free options such as Blogger or WordPress. To find the perfect fit, some research is definitely needed.

3. Pick a Theme

Keep it simple. You want it to look nice; it should be open and inviting so people are drawn in to visit (hopefully repeatedly). Fashion blogs usually have clean and sophisticated themes. Pairing white background with black text makes a blog easy to read and navigate. 

4. If Content is King, Photography is Queen

Whether you are writing about fashion tips or outfit details, stick to plain, everyday language that won’t require a dictionary search to understand. Do make sure to edit for spelling and grammar errors— we all make them, the important thing is to catch them. The real key to an attention-grabbing blog however, is attention-grabbing pictures. Everyone loves looking at pretty pictures. You don’t have to be a professional photographer, but you definitely need to invest some time and effort into your pictures. Think about lighting, posing, and editing. Practice makes perfect! 

5. Promote

Now that your blog is up and running, you’re going to want people to come and see it. It’s time to promote! Let the world know you exist. Create social media accounts, market your brand, and spread the word. 

So there you have it. Remember, blogging is hard work. But if you stick with it and consistently post quality content, you’ll be on your way in no time!

Credits: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Hi there! I am Bolu Erinoso, currently a 4th year Communications student obsessed with all things media, fashion, and beauty related. I love to read, write and recently started a personal style website at www.whimsicalsoles.com with my fellow HerCampus writer Nancy.