This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Thursday September 19th, 2014.

An ordinary day for most but one filled with much anxiety for all of those in Scotland and the United Kingdom. Many people went to sleep that night not knowing whether they would wake up still a part of the United Kingdom or as a newly independent country.

On September 19th, Scotland held a historic referendum on the issue of their independence, putting their 307-year union with Britain on the line. 

Separatists campaigned enthusiastically for independence, claiming that it was time for Scotland to shine again as an independent country. Anti-independence groups asserted that Scotland should not break away from Britain and risk their economic security and steady global connections.

Both sides of matter received support from big names, including former soccer star David Beckham as well as tennis champion, Andy Murray. Even the Queen had something to say about the whole matter, although her comments remained fairly neutral on the subject. However, when was all said and done, it was ultimately Scotland who had the final say in the fate of their country.  

In an impressive voter turnout of close to 85% of the 97% registered, the people of Scotland collectively decided on the future on their country. 

Boxes were ticked off. Votes were counted. So what did Scotland choose?

No.

Scotland said no and would be staying with Britain.

This result was met with mixed emotions as some citizens celebrated the continued union with Britain while others mourned the lost opportunity for independence. No matter which side people were on for this vote though, the one thing that they can all agree on is that this was a historic referendum that will have a lasting impact for at least the coming generation.

Although this all took place 5000 some odd kilometers away, this was still an issue that had a significant number of Canadians, with the Canadian government in particular, on edge. Scotland’s desire to leave Britain and the consequent referendum brought up reminders of Quebec’s attempts to separate from Canada and the subsequent 1995 referendum.

During the 1995 Quebec referendum, the anti-separatist side won with the nail-bitingly narrow margin of 51% of votes.

A number of Quebec separatists and key figures in favour of Quebec independence actually travelled to Scotland during the referendum in hopes of taking a couple of pointers from them.

The possibility of a future referendum for Canada with Quebec looming in the future puts some at unease, but the anxiety has been slightly appeased for the item being as Scotland settles on staying with Britain. The Canadian government breathes a noticeable sigh of relief as Quebec separatists return home with dampening dose of discouragement rather than a motivating boost of morale for their cause.

Although a referendum for Canada is not completely out of the question, hopefully it is something that will remain on the backburner indefinitely

Article References

1, 2, 3

Picture References

1, 2, 3

An undergraduate student in her final year of study at the University of Ottawa, Melissa Poon is studying English and French as a Second Language with the hopes of working in publishing in the future. She has a passion for storytelling and finds it supremely fulfilling to bring the stories of others to life with a selection of choice words, a dash of character, and a touch of light humour.