The Most Delicious Way to Eat Your Veggies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

When you come home from a busy day of lectures, seminars, work, or studying, the last thing on your mind is: have I eaten enough vegetables? Vegetables are loaded with essential nutrients to keep us healthy and moving along to exam season, but managing to get your recommended dose of veggies each day (FYI: for women aged 19-50, the daily recommendation is 7-8 servings of fruits and vegetables) while keeping recipes fresh and new? That’s a struggle! Luckily, there are tons of ways to hide veggies in the most delicious recipes around!

Double Fudge Black Bean Cookies

These delicious cookies are filled with so much gooey chocolatey goodness that you won’t even notice the protein-rich superfood at the heart of this recipe! Black beans pack a nutritious punch and make sure these cookies definitely count as veggies.

Eggplant Brownies

Yep, you read that right: eggplant brownies! Eggplant would usually be the last thing I’d want near my brownies, but with this scrumptious recipe, brownies won’t be a guilty pleasure anymore!

Sneaky Spinach Chocolate Muffins

Even if spinach salad doesn’t necessarily make your mouth water, these moist chocolatey muffins certainly will! The recipe hides two servings of spinach by mixing it with bananas, yogurt and of course chocolate into these mouth-watering muffins!

Peanut Butter Bites

This delicious, protein-packed snack is not only perfect for on-the-go, it’s also loaded with everyone’s favorite superfood: Avocado! Yep, avocado makes these yummy peanut butter bites creamy and oh-so healthy!

Fudgy Beet Cupcakes

If you’ve ever wanted all the healthy goodness of vegetables, but inside the most delicious cupcake you’ve ever tasted, you’re in luck with this killer recipe. Beets are an amazing source of nutrients (think Vitamins A, B and C, fiber, manganese, folate and a phytonutrients called betalains) and you don’t even have to taste them with these cupcakes!

Chocolate Zucchini Protein Cookies

At this point, the math is pretty clear: chocolate + vegetable = match made in cookie heaven! These cookies are not only chocolatey, delicious and healthy, they also make an amazing post-workout (yes, cookies post-workout!) snack thanks to their extra protein.

If this article has got you craving delectable sweet treats, try out some of these delicious veggie-filled goodies and don’t forget to stop by Her Campus’ Bake Sale on Monday to satisfy your sweet tooth!

Source: Cover, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

SaveSave

Hi, I'm Kailey, a fourth-year student studying Biomedical Sciences and English at the University of Ottawa. I'm an avid traveller, Starbucks dependent life-form, book lover, a devout fan of 80s music, wine addict, movie guru and a proud supporter of sweatpants and messy buns.