yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

How to look Cozy yet Stylish for Fall!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Being comfortable and stylish in the fall is a hard task that I am still trying to master. On those cold, foggy days all I want to do is grab my baggy sweatpants and my oversized sweatshirt and head out the door. Unfortunately, as I have learned growing up, I need to look presentable for events during the day, meetings and lunches with friends. In early September before classes started, I began to look at ways to make my fall outfit cozy but trendy. I wanted to be able to wear something comfortable but that could be worn to several different events that would occur throughout my day. After a little research and a lot of shopping (whoops…), I will share with you what I have learned.

Layers! Layers! Layers! The fall weather is so unpredictable! It could be three degrees in the morning and, by lunchtime, it could be twenty-five degrees. My go-to style has been a racer-back tank top under a sweater. This look is not only comfortable, but it is a multipurpose outfit. This look is perfect for fall because you are able to adjust it away from home.

I am a HUGE fan of the infinity scarf, and they are being shown in tons of fashion magazines this season. If you peered into my closet, you would see that they are the only types of scarves that I own. They keep your chest and neck warm and are also big enough to cover your face if your nose gets cold.

Another big trend this fall that contributes towards our cozy look are leggings. I live in my leggings throughout fall! They’re warm, they’re reversible, and they’re fantastic. I love wearing workout clothes everyday because they’re made to move around in, and your body doesn’t feel as restricted as it does in jeans or cargo pants, but you feel more presentable than being in sweatpants. Workout clothes are a big trend this fall and are starting to become clothes we wear on a regular basis just because of their comfort level. Leggings are perfect to wear with high boots and knee socks. Not only does it look amazing, it also keeps your toes and calves extra warm in the colder months to come.

Oversized coats are in! All your favourite celebrities are talking about their oversized coats! Big coats can be a pain, especially in class, but they keep you warm while waiting for the bus or walking through downtown.

Remember, you are not alone. If I had my way I would be leaving the house in sweatpants, a baggy sweatshirt and my UGG’s. This is an alternate way to be comfortable and look presentable. Fall has so many trends and it is so fun to play around with them! This fall is all about being cozy and stylish!

Got any other tips on how to stay stylish during th fall months, collegiates? Share them with us on our Facebook page, tweet us or tag us on Instagram. We’d LOVE to know what you guys think!

*All pictures taken by the author*

My name is Jaclyn Friedlich. I am 19 years old, and currently finishing up my first year in communications at uOttawa! I have been living in Ottawa for the last 15 years and I am so happy to have stayed here for university as well!