Hey Holly: How Do I Make My Roommate Care About Safe Sex?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Ottawa chapter.

Hey Holly,

My roommate has a lot of one night stands with different guys. I am very worried that she is not being safe while doing this and I’m concerned for her safety – not only for pregnancy but also for STI’s. How can I talk to her about being more careful while not acting like a parent or like I’m judging her?

Sincerely,

Not a judgmental parent

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Hello NAJP,

Sexual health is so very important – especially for young adults! You seem like a very concerned friend and your roommate is lucky to have you!

The best way for you to approach this subject without sounding like her parent is to include her in your own plans. For example, find a sexual health clinic near you and ask her if she’ll go with you to learn more about how to protect yourself from unwanted pregnancies and STI’s.  If she agrees to go with you, you can always ask certain questions to the health professional that would tailor to your roommate’s experiences. For example, maybe you can ask the health professional how often a sexually active woman (with multiple partners) should get checked to ensure everything is good down there. After the visit, take your roommate out for coffee and recap the session with her! Have a conversation with her like you normally would and discuss the experience you both just had.

Hopefully this experience will make her think more seriously about her sexual health and encourage her to be more careful with her escapades!

HCXO,

Holly

Zoe Crego

U Ottawa '17

Zoë held the position of President of Her Campus at uOttawa from 2015-2017 and was a Senior Chapter Advisor. She graduated from the University of Ottawa in 2017 and has pursued a career in the Canadian federal public service. She is very grateful to Her Campus for providing a creative outlet while studying and believes her experience with Her Campus helped her grow professionally and personally.