Top 5 Ways to Celebrate Valentine’s Day without Breaking the Bank

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

We all know Valentine’s Day has its ups and downs, but money should never get in your way of having a special day with your honey. Here are some ideas to make your day extra special on a budget:

1. It’s all about the bass (and the lead up)       

The best way to bae’s heart is reminding him how much you love (or like-like) him. Find a package of children’s valentines with your favorite character. Sign them with cute messages for your cutie and leave them in unexpected places: in his backpack, in a notebook, on his pillow. This small monetary investment will leave him smiling and leave you two with just enough cash to grab dinner, which brings me to…

2. Quiet dinner for two

Valentine’s Day isn’t complete without a dinner with that special someone, but dinner doesn’t need to be at the local steakhouse to be special. Grab takeout, find your favorite corner-table in the library, and bond with your valentine over the pile of textbooks and midterms you’re cramming for. 10/10 would recommend.

3. Kick it with the chicks

Girls rule, boys drool so this Valentine’s Day grab your besties and celebrate Galentine’s Day instead. Throw on a movie, grab some popcorn, and talk about all the dates you’d rather be on. Rumor has it you can get wine for $3 nowadays.

4. Diamonds are a girl’s best friend, but chocolate is a really close second

If diamonds are not in the budget for this Valentine’s Day, you can encourage your sweetie to buy you something sweet. You may not be able to wear chocolate-covered strawberries on your wrist but you can eat them, and really, isn’t that the better option anyway?

5. Keep calm and craft on

All that crafting for your little can come in handy this Valentine’s Day when you make something special for your special someone. Make a candle with his favorite scent, a scrapbook of your time together, or a coupon book he can cash in at his leisure. He’ll be thanking you over the next several weeks and you’ll probably thank you too.

Images courtesy of: Photopin, Stock Snap, and Gratisography.