Lauren Shepard: A Student and an Activist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

Name: Lauren Shepard

Hometown: San Rafael, CA – a little north of San Francisco!

Year: Sophomore

Major: Political Science

Fun fact: I am completely addicted to Diet Coke. I’m basically not functional without it.

Her Campus: What are you involved in on campus?

Lauren Shepard: At the moment, I’m running for LSA Representative in Central Student Government with Make Michigan. The polls open Wednesday at midnight, so campaigning is my life for the next few days. Other than campaigning, I’m in I Will, which is a sexual assault awareness campaign on campus. I work on the Advisory Board for the Office of Student Conflict Resolution, and recently I was asked to be a part of the CSG Honor Code Task Force. I’m also an active member of the UM Water Ski Team. Another activity I’m involved in is connected to one of my Sociology courses; I am currently teaching art workshops at Washtenaw County Jail.

HC: What’s your biggest accomplishment?

LS: I think the most meaningful work I do is in regards to sexual assault prevention and policy, which I do through I Will. Some students involved in sexual assault awareness and prevention and I have teamed up with a couple of members of the Roosevelt Institute, which is a student-run think tank that tries to improve university and local policy. Together we work to identify various policies that we feel could be changed to increase survivor support or make campus safer.

HC: What changes do you want to make on campus?

LS: With all of the work I do on sexual assault and policy reform, I would love to see positive changes being made in the policies with regards to the Student Sexual Misconduct Policy and the bylaws of PanHel and IFC. I have been advocating for a CSG Commission on Sexual Assault Prevention, which would provide a space for survivors and students to have their voice be heard. This is something that I want to implement as an LSA Representative for CSG.

HC: Who’s your inspiration?

LS: Ruth Bader Ginsburg! Seeing her speak at Hill Auditorium last month was a dream come true.

HC: What’s something most people don’t know about you?

LS: I secretly love ice skating!

HC: If you could give advice to younger kids who want to go into politics and law, what would you tell them?

LS: My advice would be to never be afraid to speak your mind. Pursue what you are really passionate about, and you’ll do great things.

HC: That is so great! Anything else you want everyone to know about you?

LS: Make sure you go vote for me and the rest of Make Michigan starting Wednesday at midnight! Voting is an easy way to get your voice heard on campus.