Keeping Up With Chloe: Makeup Personalities

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

We all know that makeup reflects the wearer’s personality, but have you ever stopped to think about the personalities of the makeup brands themselves?   I didn’t have a clue about this idea of having a “makeup personality” until this summer, when I went to the Nordstrom sale with my mom in search of a new party look.  As we approached the Bobbi Brown counter (my favorite), I asked the makeup artist if she could give me a few tips on my makeup standing out at parties (and in pictures).  Her response surprised me:  “Have you been to the MAC counter yet?”

I was shocked, and almost appalled.  Why did she just turn me down?  Did she not deem me “worthy” of sporting the Bobbi Brown makeup?  Being the persistent person that I am, I talked her into helping me out.  After all was said and done, I was satisfied, she was satisfied (because I purchased makeup), and everything was great.

On the car ride home, I asked my mom what had happened back at the Bobbi Brown counter.  She explained that Bobbi Brown specializes in more sophisticated makeup looks, whereas MAC is better known for its wilder works of art, which would be more suitable for college parties.  I always knew that MAC marketed a “wild-girl” appeal, but it had never occurred to me that there could be such similarities between a human personality and what I like to call a “makeup personality.”

What I’ve learned from this experience is that, just like everyone has a perfect love match, every woman (or makeup-wearing man) also has her perfect makeup brand to match her personality.  Of course, do not feel the need to drop hundreds of dollars on these expensive brands—mimic their products at the drug store!  For example, Bobbi Brown tried to sell me a $65 eyeshadow kit, but I found a similar one at Sav-On Drugs for $7.99.  It’s okay to mix and match makeup “personalities”—heaven knows I love my MAC glittery body powder—so just make sure that you have fun with whatever look you try!

An aspiring French journalist, Chloe has been working with the Her Campus brand since prior to the University of Michigan's launch. In addition to authoring "Keeping Up with Chloe," a biweekly blog published within the University of Michigan branch, Chloe is a Chapter Advisor. Her favorite column will always be the Campus Cuties, though! When Chloe is not writing for, publicizing, or working with other chapters of Her Campus, she enjoys painting, making jewelry, exercising, baking, and having movie nights with her friends.Her archive can be found at hercampus.com/chloe-logan.