Keeping Up With Chloe: Football Fandom

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

It’s the most wonderful time of the year, and I’m not talking about Christmas, I’m talking about football season.  Although kickoff is the culmination of any football Saturday, the surrounding traditions vary at different schools across the country.

One of my favorite (and most envied) traditions takes place in the heart of the SEC (the Southeastern Conference, for those of you who, like me, aren’t too football-savvy).  At Vanderbilt, for example, the typical game-day outfit for a collegiette™ consists of a pretty sundress, sandals, and even sometimes a hat.  Southern gentlemen dress just as nicely, donning shorts, button-ups, and sunglasses with croakies.  Don’t forget the koozies—they’re a tailgate staple!

Game day in the North is a different world.  You know the drill:  football jerseys, face tattoos, and backwards hats.  Like many schools in the SEC wear preppy clothes for games, it’s well known that the Big Ten is all about school spirit.  Being the southern belle at heart that I am, I like to put a bow in my hair, but that’s about as preppy as it gets on Saturday mornings here.

In fact, the similarities between schools across the Big Ten are astounding.  Students at Indiana University, for example, are known to sport striped overalls to the big game, just like many Michigan students do.  Courtney, a student at Indiana, confirms other similarities.  “At IU, the girls wear DIY t-shirts (fringe bottoms, peek-a-boo shoulders, crop tops, etc.) and fanny packs, and boys wear ‘frat’ or ‘man’ tanks,” she says.  “Wearing IU stickers on our faces is also really popular.”  Sound familiar?

Although apparel may be similar between schools, traditions often differ.  Here at the University of Michigan, we always announce the Slippery Rock scores at football games—and cheer them on!  This ritual began in the 1950s with announcer Steve Filipiak made sure to broadcast this small school’s scores at every game at the Big House.  The tradition died out for a bit, but it is now as strong as ever among Michigan football fans.

Virginia Tech is also full of unique traditions.  Fans can always expect the football team to enter the stadium with Metallica’s “Enter Sandman” playing in the background, but it’s their customary policy of “Hokies Respect” that really takes the cake.  “Before every game, we always have a different person talk about Hokies Respect and the importance of respecting the other team and visiting fans,” says Laura, a Virginia Tech student.  “I’ve walked into games overhearing Tech fans having very friendly conversations with the opposing team.  I love going to a school that urges the importance of welcoming your opponents.”

Whether you’re in the Deep South or frigid North, there’s one football tradition that holds no matter where you are.  From parents and friends to fraternities and organizations, tailgates are necessary to kicking off football Saturdays.  Their size, music, food, and drinks might differ, but tailgates have one key component in common:  camaraderie.

No matter what I’m wearing or doing, though, there’s only one thing going through my mind when I’m walking down Hoover to the Big House with my friends…GO BLUE!

An aspiring French journalist, Chloe has been working with the Her Campus brand since prior to the University of Michigan's launch. In addition to authoring "Keeping Up with Chloe," a biweekly blog published within the University of Michigan branch, Chloe is a Chapter Advisor. Her favorite column will always be the Campus Cuties, though! When Chloe is not writing for, publicizing, or working with other chapters of Her Campus, she enjoys painting, making jewelry, exercising, baking, and having movie nights with her friends.Her archive can be found at hercampus.com/chloe-logan.