Get the Facts: Breast Cancer Awareness Month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

As the second leading cause of death among women and the most commonly diagnosed cancer in women, breast cancer is an extremely prevalent and dangerous disease that affects millions of people worldwide. In honor of October, Breast Cancer Awareness Month, here are some facts about breast cancer that will hopefully educate you about the disease.

·      1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in their lifetime

·      Approximately 200,000 women in the United States are diagnosed with breast cancer each year.

·      Out of these 200,000 women, more than 40,000 will die due to the disease.

·      Men are also susceptible to breast cancer; approximately 2,150 men are diagnosed with the disease each year.

·      Breast cancer is the most common cancer among women worldwide.

·      Currently, doctors are unsure of the exact causes of breast cancer.

·      Having a family history of breast cancer can increase your risk of developing the disease.

·      Death rates from breast cancer have been slowly declining since 1990 due to early detection, increased awareness, and advanced treatment options.

·      Sponsors such as the National Football League, JCPenney, and even Michigan’s own Zeta Tau Alpha sorority help raise hundreds of thousands of dollars for breast cancer awareness each year.

If you’d like to learn more about breast cancer or are interested in donating, check out the National Breast Cancer Foundation’s website: http://www.nationalbreastcancer.org/

Photos courtesy of: National Breast Cancer Foundation and women-interests.com