Ainsley’s Artscapades: Holiday Cheer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mich chapter.

The lights adorning the trees along South U are a sure sign that the holidays are here. Unfortunately, the view of them from the second floor of the Ugli is not as cheerful as it could be. Finals place a real cloud over the art that makes the holiday season the best season. Have no fear, these very merry study breaks can get you back on the holiday track without ruining your grades (and give you a healthy dosage of some creativity while you’re at it).

1. Build a gingerbread house (or city, if you’re one of the lucky few whose finals schedule is actually bearable). Tune into your architect/baker/painter-ly bones while you build a gingerbread house that might move you from Santa’s naughty list to his nice list. Just being realistic.  

2. Go on an Ann Arbor lights tour. Grab some friends, grab some hot cocoas, and grab a car – well, not just a car, but your car. Carjacking would obviously put you right back on the naughty list. Drive around the residential areas of Ann Arbor and look at the lights and decorations. There are so many beautiful homes around town, and it’s amazing how much effort some people put into their holiday décor. Also, if you’re as excited about decking your future halls for the holidays as I am, (I will be one of those all-out-for-the-holidays homes someday, I swear) get some inspiration along the way.

3.  If you have an entire night to spare, which I know is difficult to scrounge up, go visit the Dickens Festival in downtown Holly (about 45 min from Ann Arbor). If you want to feel like you’re living in a Christmas Carol, this is right up your alley (actually it’s right up Battle Alley in downtown Holly). There are carolers, food, and evergreen ‘n lights aplenty. Plus, the Haunted Holly Hotel and the antique shops of downtown Holly are enough to take you back a century and give you plenty of holiday spirit to last through exams. [The Dickens Festival takes place from December 9th-11th this year in Downtown Holly, MI.]

4.  ELF. Just watch it. Maybe indulge in one or all of the four elf food groups? (Candy, candy canes, candy corn, and syrup.) Christmas films are another way to bring the art of the holidays into your life without cutting back much on study time. If you want to take the more classic route you could always go for a Christmas Story, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Santa Claus is Coming to Town, or A Charlie Brown Christmas

Nikki is a senior at the University of Michigan double majoring in English and Communication Studies.  In addition to Her Campus, Nikki is also involved in Ed2010, The Forum-Michigan's Greek Life Newspaper, Alpha Delta Pi, and Gamma Sigma Alpha.  In her spare time, she enjoys being outside, playing guitar, going on bike rides, and traveling.  Her guilty pleasures include celebrity gossip sites, Glee, and chocolate chip cookies.