Where Is My Knight in Shining Armor? Why Chivalry Isn’t Dead

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

With Valentine’s Day quickly approaching, many single girls are thinking the same thing: where is my knight in shining armor? A common response to this question has been that chivalry is dead; we’re all just at an age in our lives where commitments and great men don’t exist. It’s about time we give a rebuttal to all the negative Nancies out there, there’s a chance that YOU may be the problem. That’s a very harsh statement and no one wants to hear it, but it’s become evident that college-aged women don’t always look at themselves and the personal growth they need to establish before letting in that great love.

Chivalry isn’t necessarily dead, it might just be that we’re all looking too broadly. There’s different ways to go about seeing what chivalry is because it doesn’t need to be someone you are romantically attached to or hooking up with. The most chivalrous of men can be your best friends, project partners, hall mates, even your dads. Guys who hold the door open for you on your way to Berk or take the time to listen to you when you just need a friend don’t need to do that, they’re doing it because they want to. They’re chivalrous, it actually exists!

We should stop looking at what we don’t have and start appreciating what we do have. There has to have been one male figure in everyone’s life that has proved that they’re not all the same. This Valentine’s Day I challenge all the single ladies to stay optimistic. Try to love the holiday and the idea that your knight is on his way and that chivalry definitely still exists. Your early twenties aren’t necessarily a time for anyone to be settled down, we’re all still growing and need time to be a**holes before becoming anything close to saints.

So Collegiettes, this is a challenge for you – chivalry isn’t dead, just learn to appreciate the men in your life. Concentrate on making those guy friends who will be your go-to on those lonely nights or will drive you to your favorite parts in Amherst to just talk for hours. They exist and the time you spend with them will be much better spent than time spent frantically looking for ”the one.”

Sarah Freudson

U Mass Amherst

Hey everyone!My name is Sarah Freudson and I'm a junior studying Legal Studies and Women, Gender, Sexuality Studies at Umass Amherst! I am a sister of Sigma Kappa Sorority and am very passionate about philanthropy. I volunteer my time as an art assistant, spending time with the elderly and visiting the sick at hospitals.My one goal in life is to visit as many countries as possible.  I am Ukrainian and I go back to the homeland to visit family as much as I can!The most significant thing about me is my idolization of F. Scott Fitzgerald. His quote: "just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had," literally dictates my life. It shows the importance of volunteering along with the realization of how lucky we all are for our given circumstances.  I'm the type of girl that looks at the glass half full, thats for sure!!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst