Valentine’s Day Around the World… How Do Other Countries Celebrate?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Are men always the ones to shower women with gifts? Are flowers and roses the international symbol of love? Take a look inside how Valentine’s Day is celebrated in other cultures.

Japan: Opposite from what we’re accustomed to here, the Japanese Valentine’s Day tradition involves women giving many gifts to men. These gifts most commonly include chocolate. These special chocolates are called “giri-choco.” Giri-choco are obligatory gifts to male bosses to show respect, but not romantic intentions.

South Africa: Friendship is the theme of Valentine’s Day in this country. Couples go out to dinner with their friends and go dancing. Some people also honor a Roman festival called Lupercalia.” In this festival, young women and men pin their names on their lover’s sleeves. It’s a way to acknowledge their attraction openly and express deep feelings.

Spain: Men and women spend the day with their significant others in order to express their love. Roses are popular gifts that men give to their wives. Other gifts are given as well in order to honor the love in one’s life. Valentine’s Day is a great day for street vendors to sell a variety of gifts to people trying to celebrate the day.

Brazil: In Brazil, Valentine’s Day is not celebrated, but is replaced with a similar holiday called Boyfriend’s/Girlfriend’s Day. It is celebrated on June 12th and is a time in which lovers give each other flowers, cards, chocolates and other gifts in the name of love.

England: In the UK, couples and non-couples gather together in the name of love and celebrate by giving cards, candy and flowers. However, they do have a unique tradition involving children. Children sing sweet songs in order to get gifts in the form of candy and fruit. Also, single women believe that the first man they see on Valentine’s Day morning will be their future husband

Photo Souce: 1, 2

Junior Political Science and Legal Studies Double Major at UMass Amherst.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst