Turning 20: Reality vs. Expectations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Having begun college as an 18-year-old, you never think you’re going to get older: time takes on a different quality while you’re away experiencing your freshman and sophomore years, and you don’t really imagine what it’s like to age (except for the big 20+1: everyone thinks about that in college). For me especially, I wasn’t very excited about my 20th birthday because it wasn’t a huge landmark age — at 18 you’re a legal adult and at 21 you can drink, but 19 and 20 are just ages in between that you have to get through and hopefully have fun along the way. Even so, I had a number of preconceived notions about turning 20 in my head, and I’m sure people everywhere can relate:

1. Expectation: You’ll feel more like an adult.

Reality: You feel less like an adult.

I thought turning 20 would make me feel more like an adult, because it sounds so old in my head — but in reality, now I just feel more behind because I feel I should have accomplished more. This one differs for everyone, but for me, I certainly don’t feel like I have my life more together or that I’m more adult-ish now. Perhaps this is the time to reflect upon my life decisions and set more goals that I will feel accomplished about (a lofty goal, I know). 

2. Expectation: You’re one year older, so certainly you’ll enjoy more privileges than a 19-year-old.

Reality: Nope.

As a teenager, each birthday came with slightly more responsibility and privileges. But being 20 is really no different than being 19: it doesn’t really have anything special to offer at this time. Check back later, in approximately one or two years, and maybe something will have changed. 

3. Expectation: You’ll get some satisfaction out of not being a teenager anymore.

Reality: Kind of, but it still feels the same. You’ll always be a teenager at heart.

I have gained marginal satisfaction from not being a teenager anymore, but at the end of the day most of my friends are still teenagers and I’m really no different. Even when I’m way older, I have no doubt I’ll always feel like an insecure teenager anyway.

4. Expectation: People will take you more seriously.

Reality: You’re still exactly the same person.

Although living another year and accomplishing all that you have definitely merits respect, it’s how you spend your time that matters, not the age itself.

5. Expectation: You’ll have survived two decades on this planet.

Reality: This one is correct! Congrats on making it this far.

For all you 20-year-olds out there, you can delight in the fact that you’ve completed an entire two decades living on this planet! Keep up the good work, because you’ve got a lot to look forward to in the coming years and you’re only going to get stronger and more experienced as you go. 

Images/GIFs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst