element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The Top 5 Christmas Episodes of ‘The Office’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

What’s better than “The Office” at Christmas time? 

5. Season 7, Episode 11: “Classy Christmas”

This two-part episode bears several plotlines, ranging from hilarious to heartfelt. Michael attempts to step up the annual Christmas party and make it sophisticated in an attempt to impress the love of his life—Holly. Jim and Dwight are involved in an intense series of snowball fights. In a beautiful scene, Jim and Pam exchange Christmas gifts, where Jim is left practically speechless when he sees the homemade comic book that Pam created for him. Darryl finds out he won’t be having his daughter for Christmas this year so he makes every attempt to let her have fun at the office. And, while not a major plotline, it’s hilarious that Erin seems to have some sort of grudge against Holly.  

4. Season 3, Episode 10: “A Benihana Christmas”

In another chaotic Christmas episode of “The Office,” Michael declares Christmas “cancelled” as his girlfriend breaks up with him despite his offer to take her on a Sandals vacation. And, of course, there is a duel between the Party Planning Committee, ultimately leading to two separate parties. This episode also hosts the iconic “Bros Before Hoes” speech given by Michael.

3. Season 6, Episode 13: “Secret Santa”

There is a lot going on in this episode—Andy literally gives Erin the 12 days of Christmas, which leaves her in a lot of pain from multiple bird injuries, Pam tries to set up the only two gay men she knows, and of course, Michael is outraged that Jim is allowing Phyllis to be Santa. The funniest part of this episode is when Michael dresses up as Jesus and inappropriately commentates the remainder of the Christmas party. 

2. Season 5, Episode 11: “Moroccan Christmas”

The episode starts off with classic Jim and Dwight antics; Jim replaces Dwight’s desk with cardboard and wrapping paper, causing Dwight to collapse to the ground. Phyllis takes over the planning party committee, usually run by Angela, and creates a Moroccan-themed party. In usual “The Office” fashion, not much goes as planned as Meredith’s hair catches on fire, Michael stages a poorly planned intervention, and Phyllis reveals Angela is having an affair with Dwight. The funniest side-plot of all, however, is Dwight buying out the most popular doll of the season and upselling them for $200 a piece. 

1. Season 2, Episode 10: “Christmas Party”

This episode takes the number one spot for a variety of reasons. Michael Scott pulls a move that only Michael Scott would pull…and that is breaking the $20 Secret Santa limit and buying Ryan an iPod that costs hundreds of dollars. Of course, he sees no problem with this, until he receives a homemade oven mitt and decides it’s time to play Yankee Swap. It’s hilarious to watch Michael offend nearly every one of his employees with quotes like, “It’s like this tangible thing that you can point to and say, ‘Hey man, I love you this many dollars’ worth.’” Not to mention the part where he buys 15 bottles of vodka. Another reason this episode reigns supreme to all other Christmas episodes is because of the Jim and Pam plotline. Jim gifts Pam an extremely thoughtful present filled with inside jokes and small moments he’s collected throughout the years. 

Images/GIFs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 56

Sofie Kowalski

U Mass Amherst

University of Massachusetts Amherst '20 
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst