Life > Experiences

Pop a Molly, I’m OutRAGEd: UMass Amherst Cancels all EDM Shows

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

On September 26th, 2013, the UMass Office of Student Affairs released a statement to undergraduates that all scheduled EDM concert shows have been cancelled. Needless to say we all kind of reacted like this…

For a little over a week now, students have been reeling since the decision broke via email and cell phone alerts. Although disappointed, this came as little surprise to EDM fans that had already dealt with the cancellation of Fantazia 360 in September of this year because of growing concerns over the dangers of drug abuse and related deaths at EDM shows.

However, the wide spread upset of cancelling Pretty Lights and Above & Beyond, was enough to send a good majority of students into a social media frenzy detailing their discontent. This storm of student fury didn’t just weather within the confines of UMass Amherst, but instead caught the attention of other DJs who had plenty to say about the stereotyping of EDM as drug promoting music. Over social media, many of them challenged and condemned the decisions made by the university staff.

Although this fact was acknowledged in their email, EDM concerts are not the only venue where students are experimenting with drugs. Molly, Ecstasy, and MDMA are the specific drugs named in the email as being EDM related, but that’s not the only place and those aren’t the only drugs being abused on campus. Canceling the concerts doesn’t cut off students from potential drug suppliers and it certainly doesn’t stop them from wanting to experiment with drugs. At college, it’s impossible to try and eliminate drug use. Unfortunately for some it has become part of “the college experience” and regardless of a place, students who are set on trying a drug are simply going to do it anyway. With this ban, it’s possible students will take molly at house parties, or at a concert off campus, instead of at the Mullins. At least at the Mullins Center there were paramedics and security there to keep the kids safe and prevent overdoses from turning fatal. Although it’s not the job of the student affairs administration to be responsible for what students do off campus or to condone drug use, they’re doing students well-being a huge injustice by forcing them off property.

Included in the email was a link to drugabuse.gov and an article that talked about molly, ecstasy, and MDMA. UMass’ biggest problem in this whole situation, and the most ironic since we’re all a part of a university, is their failure as a school to educate us on the dangers of Molly. Providing us a link to a website not affiliated with UMass Amherst, in an email, that’s most likely going to be deleted by most students out of spite, does not suffice for an educational resource. Previously stated above, environmental factors don’t change someone’s objective to take a drug; however by properly educating them they’ll understand the risk and consequences and possibly talk themselves out of it.

Frustration with the cancelation decision was temporarily relieved in a moment of comical irony when students were reminded that although the EDM shows were cancelled, Trinidad James would still be performing in late October. For those of you who don’t know, Trinidad James coined the overly used phrase “pop a molly I’m sweatin!” in his song “All Gold Everything” which ultimately made him mainstream. This hypocrisy solidifies that the UMass Student Affairs staff couldn’t be more out of touch with their students and the pop culture and entertainment world we live in.

All around, this decision is exceedingly unfair for several parties. First, it’s unfair to the kids that love EDM music but oppose using drugs when they attend concerts. UMass’ email generalized all students that are EDM concert goers as people who engage in drug use. This couldn’t be further from the truth! There are plenty of people who chose to attend these concerts above the influence of drugs. Second, it’s unfair to the students and crew that were planning on working these now cancelled shows. Especially those a part of MASS EDMC which was started here in Amherst in 2008 based on the passion of electronic dance music and trying to build the culture here. Lastly, it’s unfair to the DJs who were scheduled to play. Their goal is to spread music and have a good time and get a rush off of students’ energy. One can only try to understand how frustrating a canceled concert is.

This article ABSOLUTELY does not condone drug use! Despite efforts made by this article to challenge the decision made by the university, Molly, MDMA, ecstasy, and other club drugs are dangerous and no one faults UMass for that decision. Discontent sprouts from the way they handled the situation of canceling events that UMass students religiously look forward to. Ultimately it needs to be remembered that although we may be upset and not believe the decision is fair, UMass didn’t just decide this because they like to watch students douse social media in posts about their school’s poor administration staff. The decision was made because at the time it seemed like the best and safest option for students. Although we don’t agree and have our theories on what motivates the student affairs staff, to a degree we can commend them on looking out. We’re all tired of hearing this but it should be mentioned, boring as it sounds, we can’t forget that first and foremost we’re here for an education!

Don’t let this get you down collegiettes! Just keep the party going and stay safe!

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst