Panhellenic Recruitment 2013 is Finally Here!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

The week you’ve all been waiting for is finally here! Panhellenic Recruitment 2013 begins tonight, Tuesday September 24th at 7pm in the Student Union Ballroom!

For many this week is exciting; for many it’s nerve-wracking; and for many it’s some mixture of the two. Which sorority you choose to pursue can make or break your time in college, so make sure you choose one where you feel comfortable and one that’s the right fit for you! As tempting as it may be, try not to let your friends’ opinions influence your own, considering these are the girls you will be spending a lot of time with—make sure they’re who you want to be around. If you can’t tell, I’d say the most important thing to keep in mind while going through recruitment is go with your gut and think only for yourself. Everyone has a different experience!

To help calm some nerves, below you will find a break down of what to expect in the next few days so nothing comes as too much of a surprise, along with some tips and ideas for outfits! As a general rule of thumb, each round is a little dressier than the one that precedes it.

Tonight, September 24thInformation Session in the Student Union Ballroom from 7-9. This is where you will hear someone from each chapter speak about their chapter, get a chance to talk to and meet some of the sisters, and also meet your Rho Gammas!

Your Rho Gammas are a great resource—they are here solely to help you make the right decision. Feel free to come to them with any questions or concerns you have, as they are there to be an unbiased source of help!

Remember, all of the Potential New Members (PNMs) are in the same boat as you! Try to be outgoing and don’t hesitate to strike up conversation with someone you may not already know. It always helps to see a friendly face! Sometimes you’ll even find girls you connect with so well, you’ll stay close with them even after Bid Day if you choose to go different ways.

The info session is a great opportunity to get a feel for what recruitment is going to be like, and it’s an awesome time to scope out the different chapters before parties begin.

For the info session you want to be comfortable and casual—maybe wear jeans, boots, and a cute sweater!

Wednesday September 25th and Thursday September 26thPhilanthropy Round. Taken from the Panhel Facebook page, “The first few rounds of recruitment are the longest days, so you definitely want to dress in something you will be comfortable in. Shorts, capris, or jeans and a blouse is appropriate. Comfortable shoes, like sandals or flats, are a must!”

The first round can be overwhelming for a lot of girls because you do a lot of talking, but it’s just a way for you to get to know us and for us to get to know you! Be warned: there will be lots of clapping, singing, and cheering, but it’s all just part of tradition! Philanthropy round is supposed to be fun and upbeat. Just be yourself and go into every party with an open mind and you’ll be just fine!

Friday September 27th  – Skit Night! This night is a lot of fun—you get to see a different side of the girls in each chapter than just talking, and a lot of it is pretty entertaining! For this day, you should plan to be slightly dressier than the previous round. Don’t forget to be comfortable though! Panhel suggests, “Shorts, capris, or jeans and a nice blouse are appropriate; think something you might wear on a first date. Comfortable shoes are still essential. You won’t be at your best if your feet are aching!”

Saturday September 28th  – House Tours Day! “Today, a sundress, dressy capris, or a skirt and blouse would all be appropriate. There are still four parties on this day, so flats or sandals would be your best option for shoes.” You do a lot of moving around this day, so definitely make sure you’re comfortable. Today gives you a chance to see a little bit more of each house, giving you a glimpse of how the sisters of the chapter live. Today’s the day in which most girls decide if they want or do not want to live in a house, which can sometimes impact one’s decision greatly. By now you have met a bunch of girls and can probably recognize some of the sisters you’ve been seeing recurrently. Hopefully you’re getting closer to making your decision!

Sunday September 29th – Preference Night! This is probably the most significant day of all recruitment, because you’ve narrowed it down to your “top” two chapters. Most girls find this day is where they know in their gut which chapter they belong in—some also find they’re torn! “This is the culmination of each round of recruitment, and it is the night where you leave your final impressions on your last 2 chapters. Pref is the most formal night of recruitment; think formal cocktail attire. Nice dresses or a blouse with a skirt or slacks is appropriate. Dressier shoes are encouraged in this round, but remember you still want to be comfortable!”

On that note—have a blast with recruitment! This should be fun and stress-free; just remember to be yourself! If you change your mind in the middle of the recruitment process, you can always decide to discontinue. Better to try it out and see what you could be missing!

P.S. While you’re at it, maybe check out The 3 Misconceptions About Greek Life, and Why They’re Wrong!

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst