This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Calling all avid Netflix-bingers! It’s your fellow Collegiette here, informing you of some life-changing news: a new (brilliant) series has just made its way to the best TV-watching site on the World Wide Web, and you need to see it!

If you didn’t already know, a new Netflix series called Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt has recently made its debut on the “Watch Instantly” page, and it’s a definite must-see!

Before I even begin to tell you about this show, I have to let you know that if you like Tina Fey at all, you will undeniably love some aspect of this show, and you are missing out if you don’t at least give it a chance.

Though the series was originally supposed to air on NBC’s network, it was mutually decided that Netflix would be a great outlet for the series, and it all worked out for the best! Being on Netflix allows Tina Fey and her co-writer Robert Carlock to write freely, and gives them an opportunity to push the envelope way further without the laws and regulations restricting commercial television networks.

Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt follows a woman, Kimmy, who was kidnapped and kept in a cult underground for 15 years. With the mind and heart of a 15 year old girl, the show follows her on her journey in the Big Apple after being rescued.

The two stars of the show alone are great reasons to watch!

1. Ellie Kemper: the star and light of the show. She is also known as the quirky and gullible receptionist, Erin, on The Office, and one of the hilarious cast members of the movie Bridesmaids. Kemper’s ability to transform into these positive and enthusiastic characters takes true talent.

2. Jane Krakowski: mother and aspiring socialite of the family Kimmy nannies for. She is often remembered for her role as 30 Rock sensation Jenna Maroney. Krakowski is an outstanding comedian who seems to crack joke after joke and remain completely unfazed by it.

Unbreakable critics seem to pounce on the sitcom for its employment of stereotypes to provide humor for the show, but people can take offense from any show, so why not be up-front about it? It is all in how you see it. The show cracks jokes about all types of people, but the way the jokes are presented is anything but malicious. The writers use these jokes, in light of the controversy, to push the limits of TV networks, and it makes the show what they believe to be the best it can be.

The show is undoubtedly hilarious. Many of the jokes are unexpected, and the one-liners will have you in stitches. And, to add to the show’s greatness, the episodes are short and enjoyable, which makes for a quick and easy bingeable TV series. I, myself, finished the whole season in two days.

Beyond the light-heartedness of the show, each episode seems to leave you with some kind of life lesson. Whether it be to hold on a little longer and push through something or to exude confidence, there is always some message that you take away from her journey.

At the end of the day, you leave the show laughing and pondering life. What is better than that?

Happy binge-watching, Collegiettes!

Gifs: 1 / 2 / 3 

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst