emma matthews digital content production rG00RzNTRhc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
emma matthews digital content production rG00RzNTRhc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Survive and Succeed on Black Friday

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Black Friday is the finals week of the holiday season. It is just as stressful, terrifying, and hectic as that same point in the school year when it seems like everything is on the line. With all the crazy deals, tons of gifts, and millions of people crowded into stores, Black Friday can be more scary than it is productive. But fear no more, Collegiettes, because we have a foolproof plan that will help you tackle Black Friday like a professional

Set your alarm at whatever time you want to get up, and make sure your phone is on loud because as soon as your alarm goes off, you’ll need to be up and alert. No hitting the snooze button!

Make sure to eat a big breakfast- some cereal, a bagel, or maybe some extra pumpkin pie from the night before. Maybe even another entire Thanksgiving dinner,  because you’re going to need all the energy you can get.

After you’ve eaten breakfast and you’re more than halfway awake, start writing your list. Figure out what you need and where you’re going to get it. Bring all the coupons you have that are relevant, and make sure you have a gift idea for everyone that you need to buy for that day. Because sales are crazy on Black Friday, you should have a back-up idea for every person as well. Once you’ve written out everything you need, you should feel ready to conquer the mall madness. 

Everybody knows that shopping malls make your throat feel drier than the Sahara Desert, so you should probably stick a couple water bottles in your purse, along with 127 more for good measure. 

A couple hours into your shopping, you should definitely take a break. Bring some snacks for that break, because you’ll be hungry as well as thirsty. This is your time to check off everything on your list and redefine your goals for the next half of the day while you stuff your face. 

Be prepared to face mobs of people, and violent soccer moms fighting for their children’s top gift on their lists. People get primitive when it comes to saving money, so get ready to fight. 

The last step is to pull into your driveway as soon as you’re done shopping, and give yourself a high five. Stumble back into your house, up to your bedroom, and take a well-deserved nap.

Congrats, Collegiettes! You successfully tackled Black Friday. Now, it’s time to get wrapping. Happy Holidays!

Sources: Cover, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Marketing Major at UMass Amherst in the Commonwealth Honors College and Isenberg School of Management
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst