How Pinterest Secret Boards Can Actually Help You Organize Your Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

While social media outlets are great for a number of reasons, there is something unparalleled about the dynamics of Pinterest. Perhaps its great fame comes from the exclusivity of having to be invited via email, or perhaps it’s the excitement of being able to search innumerable combinations of hashtags and keywords and find exactly what you’re looking for (hint: see how Pinterest accidentally built a better search engine than Google.) Maybe it’s the fact that its audience is much smaller and more intimate than that of Facebook or Twitter; but, at the end of the day, Pinterest is undeniably most perfect for procrastinating, idea building, and inspiration seeking.

Though many users of Pinterest enjoy its endless scroll of browsing, what many people don’t realize is the actual incredible utility built using the “Secret Boards” feature. Because this aspect is only visible to the user, secret boards are an excellent way to stay organized in a cluttered world. Check out some of these ideas to take full advantage of all that Pinterest has to offer in an attempt to help you organize your life—outside of fall outfit ideas, make up tutorials, and DIY projects!

1.     Internships/jobs

This is probably the most useful way to take advantage of Pinterest’s secret boards option. By creating a board solely for internships and job applications, you’ll be able to find all career-related info in one place. This is a great organization tool especially for items you want kept private (obviously you don’t want your fellow pinners to apply for the same jobs as you!). You can actually “pin” links while you’re on the webpage using a browser add on, or simply create your own pin and copy and paste the link. You can even update the description of the pins once they’ve been posted, so you can make any notes you need all in the same place (i.e “Interesting description but what about commute?” or “Molly’s uncle’s company—she said to email him first”).

2.     Working on a project/paper

Another one of the most useful methods for organization, secret boards are amazing for a project or paper you might be working on. Chances are your followers aren’t doing the same research as you on ancient Chinese civilizations, so keep it under-wraps in one of these boards. You can bookmark websites, pictures, sources, etc. here, and be able to refer back to it whenever. This is great especially for long-term assignments so you can pin as you discover the info you’re looking for!

3.     Halloween ideas

Again, why would you want all of your followers to see what Halloween ideas you’re brewing up for this season? Keep all of the ideas you’ve seen in one place—and away from people who might steal your awesome ideas! With Halloween right around the corner, Pinterest is a great place to keep costume ideas and even costume pieces from stores you’ve found all together. Don’t forget, the Pinterest “pin” add-on takes information from any webpage and posts it straight to your board of choice!

4.     Workout plans

Fitness and health are definitely a personal topic, so why would you want that girl in your biology lab or your friend from sophomore year of high school to see that you’re trying to lose 5 pounds this month? Secret boards are great for personal items like workout plans and fitness tips, as well as nutrition and other various health guidelines. Some of this stuff you probably don’t want everyone to see, like if you’re working to target just your legs and butt, you’re most likely better off keeping that to yourself.

5.     Gift ideas

Is your best friend’s birthday coming up? Do you want to surprise your group of girls back home with a cute find from Wanelo? Especially if your friends are Pinterest users too, you definitely don’t want them seeing what you’ve started brainstorming for their birthdays! Pin all your great gift ideas here—DIY or not! They’ll never expect what you have in mind and you can always refer back to it if you decide now’s not the time. Maybe while browsing another site you find something that would be just perfect for your BFF, but her birthday isn’t for a few more months! Don’t fret, Pinterest secret boards will come to the rescue again. Keep all your gift ideas secure and private in one place—no one will have any idea what’s in store!

So, for all those out there who thought Pinterest was simply a way to pass-time while at work or in between classes, think again! Pinterest secret boards are actually an amazing way to keep track of everything you might need in your daily life. Who knew Pinterest could actually help you organize your life so much? Happy pinning!