How to Make Your Room Décor Adorably Eco-friendly This Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Welcome back, Collegiettes! If you’re anything like me, one of your favorite things about returning to school is getting to decorate your new room. (Okay, maybe that is a bit of a stretch, but it is definitely in the top ten.)  While you’re hunting for some cute décor ideas on Pinterest or Wanelo, you may want to consider incorporating some eco-friendly options. Not only will it give you an excuse to spend even more time browsing the internet for decoration ideas, but it’s also a super simple way to incorporate more environmentally conscious choices into your life (and who wouldn’t want to do that?). Here are a couple easy ways you can get started!

1. Upcycling/Repurposing

When we throw something away, we tend to have the attitude that it just “disappears” and we usually forget about it soon after. But the truth is, our garbage can sit in landfills for decades or even centuries. One small, easy, and actually really fun way to reduce our waste is by repurposing/upcycling stuff we already have. You can use your old chemistry notes from last semester to make hanging paper cranes, repaint that gross plastic bin your mom bought you from Target last year, use old soup cans as mini planters, or, if you’re feeling particularly crafty, you can even make a rug out of old bed sheets.

If you aren’t a very arts and crafts kind of person, another good idea is to just try and take better care of the stuff already own so it lasts longer. This means doing stuff like unplugging the string of Christmas lights hanging around your bedpost so the bulbs last longer, or using command strips or sticky tack to hang your posters instead of tape so they won’t rip (if you do use tape, use this nifty tutorial to take it off without ripping it). 

2. Choosing environmentally friendly companies

If you do have to buy something, it’s a good idea to research the company before buying their products. You can find a ton of amazing ecofriendly products and customer reviews of them by just doing a quick google search! Keep an eye out for companies that use recycled and/or organic materials and make efforts to reduce their energy usage and greenhouse gas emissions. For starters, check out this cubby organizer from Way Basics that is made from 99% recycled paperboard, or these incredibly cute handmade candles made by DoubleBrush on etsy that are made from recycled bottles. 

3. Buying VOC Free Paints

Okay, so I know a lot of us probably don’t have the ability to actually paint our walls (seeing the boring, concrete walls in my Orchard Hill room still makes me a little sad), but if you are one of the lucky people who get to repaint your room, or if you are painting a bookshelf or another kind of furniture, this is another great environmentally conscious choice to make. VOC stands for volatile organic compounds, which are gasses that that can be emitted from stuff like paint, furniture, and cleaning supplies. Some VOCs can actually be extremely harmful to both the environment and to people. By choosing a low or zero VOC paint, you can help reduce these emissions and protect your health!

The little things we do for our environment really do start to add up, so while you’re planning your dream dorm/apartment, don’t forget to keep Mother Nature in mind. Happy decorating!

Photo sources: 1, 2, 3

Rachel is an English major and a Senior at UMass Amherst, a student assistant at W.E.B. Dubois Library, an expert at procrastinating and tripping over stuff, and likes dinosaurs, tea, video games, and all things sparkly.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst