Hair Trend Roadtested: The Ombre Fade

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

You’ve probably seen this style on multiple celebrities.
Rachel Bilson has been rocking it for years, while both Jessica Biel and Khloe Kardashian recently transformed their looks with ombre highlights. Ombre is French literally meaning gradation, a term that is used when referring to dark to light transition on the hair. 

Recently I’ve had a bout of the winter blues, and been daydreaming about the summer time. I realized I needed to do something to get me out of this slump and couldn’t think of a more perfect way than a trip to my favorite salon. Feeling a little daring I decided I wanted to lighten up my hair with the ombre fade trend. I asked Molly, a stylist at Tangles in Westfield if she’d be interested in doing it. She happily obliged, saying, “I always want to try the latest hair trends on clients. When Dee asked me about them I couldn’t say no!” 

Ombre On

After arriving at Tangles at 9 A.M. Saturday morning Molly and I discussed the shades of blonde she would use. Ombre highlights are very versatile because they give you a chance to be as drastic or subtle as you want.  

Molly prepped my hair with a clarifier. This helps remove anything that has built up in your hair. Then we were onto the highlights! This took the longest since my hair is extremely long, and thick. Instead of regular highlights that start at the root, Molly strategically started them right around my ears. Ombre highlights are also great for college students, as they won’t break the bank. Rather than returning to the salon every four weeks, you can space out salon appointments, as ombre highlights are more natural looking than traditional ones.

Winter Blues, Banished!

When Molly finished blow drying and styling my hair I was finally able to see the results. Going from dark brown, to a lighter, beachier look definitely cured my winter blues.  Molly was completely ecstatic with the final look too; gushing about how much fun she had doing my hair. She paid me the ultimate compliment saying that I looked like my favorite ombre-fied celebrities!

If you’re looking to spice up your look or just need a little change, definitely try this trend. It’s fun, flirty and will definitely make you stand out!

Deirdre Cusack

U Mass Amherst

I am a senior Communication and English major at the University of Massachusetts. I love music, food, dancing, my friends and family not in that particular order but preferably at the same time. I am an avid reader and have always had a passion for writing. I have an incurable addiction to iced coffee, popcorn, Boston sports and anything that sparkles. I hope to one day live in New York City and pursue a career at Cosmo.