Campus Celebrity: Simonica Mendes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Name: Simonica Mendes

Age: 20

Year: Senior

Hometown: Brockton, MA

Major: Journalism

Occupation: Student Worker for The Not Ready for Bedtime Players

HC: What does The Not Ready for Bedtime Players organization do?

Simonica: We are a sex-positive theater troupe that covers a variety of themes: everything from safe sex and healthy sexuality to relevant social justice topics. We perform skits–some comedy and some more serious–on Wednesday nights at different residence halls around campus. Sometimes off campus too.

HC: What originally drew you to join this organization?

Simonica: I saw them at freshmen orientation and thought they were hilarious. I also did theatre in high school, so I knew I wanted to join some type of theatre troupe. I chickened out my freshman year and didn’t try out, but sophomore year my roommate, Sarah, encouraged me to go. 

HC: What do you do as a student worker with NRBP?

Simonica: I’m still like everyone else, just with a little bit more responsibility. I take care of casting and booking shows on campus. I also have the privilege of working with a fabulous graduate assistant and amazing director. I guess I just serve as another resource for the troupe–someone who can answer questions and lend an ear when needed.

HC: Is it hard to talk about sex and sexual safety?

Simonica: Not for me! I’ve ALWAYS loved talking about sex and all things sexy.

HC: What’s been one of the most rewarding experiences for you doing this work? 

Simonica: There’s been so many, it’s definitely hard to choose just one. But I can say, that some of the things that have been most memorable are the nights when I look at the people who I spend every Wednesday night with and say, “Damn, I love y’all!” I know it sounds a little cheesy but these people really become a family. You learn so much about each other and yourself–it’s an amazing feeling and the audience can sense that energy too. It’s so easy to feel small on this campus, but finding people who share the same interests and passions makes this whole experience much more worthwhile.

HC: What are you looking forward to this year?

Simonica: I’m looking forward to bonding with my new troupe and having a kick-a** year! It’s my senior year (sad face), so I have to make sure I go out with a bang. (Pun intended)

HC: What are your favorite things to do in your free time?

Simonica: What is free time? Haha. I love napping for one, but if I can’t nap, I catch up on Youtube vlogs that I’m subscribed to while eating something that probably has way too much sugar in it.

HC: Is there anything else you would like us to know about you?

Simonica: Um, I love donuts. Specifically chocolate frosted or a chocolate stick. I guess chocolate glazed will do if there’s no chocolate sticks. My favorite flavors are watermelon and cherry. I love sugar. But I’m a friendly gal and a lover of all sorts, so say hi to me when you see me! It’ll make me feel special.

Be sure to follow NRBP on social media: Facebook, Twitter and Instagram!

Ellanje Ferguson

U Mass Amherst

Ellanje Ferguson is a senior Journalism and Communications double-major at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. She serves as the current Campus Correspondent-President and was the former Head Photographer and Social Media Director of Her Campus UMass Amherst. She has a large interest in writing, social media and fashion editorial work. She loves to write and give style advice! Aside from this, she enjoys blogging, listening to music, and of course - shopping.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst