Campus Celebrity: Shireen Pourbemani

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Name: Shireen Pourbemani

Age: 21

Year: 2015

Hometown: Newton, MA

Major: Psychology

Minor: Spanish

Occupation: Full-Time Student

HC UMASS: What are you involved in on and off campus?

SP: On campus I am a Co-President of Sisters on the Runway and I am also on the board for the Persian Student Association. I am very proud to be [part of] both of these wonderful organizations on campus.

HC UMASS: How/why did you get involved with Sisters on the Runway?

SP: I got involved with Sisters on the Runway my sophomore year at UMass when one of my friends said she was going to a general body meeting and did not want to go alone. I absolutely fell in love with the cause and what the members were doing to raise awareness for domestic violence. I knew I had to get involved as much as possible and have loved being part of this organization for the past three years.

HC UMASS: Tell us a little about what you do for SotR…

SP: As a Co-President, there are many tasks that both Sarah and I accomplish. We have a wonderful executive board that also helps us and really gets stuff accomplished. From organizing events, to raising money, to getting sponsors for the show and many other things, we are doing as much as we can to raise awareness for domestic violence and help Safe Passage.

Shireen and her co-president Sarah Figueiredo at last year’s SotR Fashion Show!

HC UMASS: Where do you hope to be in 5 to 10 years?

SP: In 10 years I hope to be a PA and seeing patients somewhere in Boston.

HC UMASS: Who would say is your biggest supporter?

SP: My mom is definitely my biggest supporter and she always has been. She has never left my side and I could not go through life without her support. I am so thankful to have her. (Thank you, mommy. I love you!)

Shireen and her mother (the apple really doesn’t fall far from the tree, does it?)

HC UMASS: What is your proudest moment so far?

SP: My proudest moment so far as a Co-President was definitely taking part of the Hot Chocolate Run in Northampton this past year. I was so proud to be involved in helping Self Passage with thousands of other people and watching our organization make an impact in what we are doing.

HC UMASS: Your most embarrassing moment here at UMass?

SP: It was one of the first days of freshman year and I was confident I had already known my class schedule. I walked in to ISB and the professor came in really late to class. It wasn’t my professor and I then realized I was in the wrong class. I was too embarrassed to get up and walk out so I sat through the entire class even though I wasn’t in the right place.

HC UMASS: What would you say is number one on your bucket list?

SP: Number one on my bucket list right now is to successfully get through the 5th Annual Benefit Fashion show for Sisters on March 29th. There are so many little details and many things that can go wrong that right now the one and only thing on my bucket list is to have a successful show.

HC UMASS: What is the one thing you’ll miss most when you graduate?

SP: The one thing that I will miss the most when I graduate is all of the wonderful people I have met here. It doesn’t mater where you are as long as you have great company and I could not be more thankful for all of the friends and different types of people I have met here. I will definitely miss you all.

Shireen and some of the members of the SotR executive board at the Hot Chocolate Run for Safe Passage, Northhampton.
Irene Tzelalis

U Mass Amherst

I am a junior at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, majoring in Psychology. I was born and raised in Athens, Greece until I came to study in the United States. I have family from New York and Egypt and love different cultures. I have an obsession with clothes and wish I could have majored in Fashion. My hobbies range from online shopping, to reading, to swimming, but I absolutely love writing. I am so excited to be a part of Her Campus UMass.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst