6 Movies You May Have Missed But Have to See

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

1.     Brooklyn

This heartwarming tale of a young Irish girl who ventures to America and finds true love is a nice blend of history, romance, and drama. It received some Oscar nominations this year, but flew fairly under the radar otherwise.

2.     Blood Diamond

It may not be the newest movie, but this classic movie is based on a true story. Leonardo DiCaprio leads a stellar cast through this dramatic, action-filled film set in Africa during a Civil War centered on the hunt for illegal diamonds. It also has a nice historical element.

3.     Goldfinger (and other vintage James Bond movies)

If you haven’t seen the Sean Connery originals, have you really seen Bond? While the graphics are definitely vintage and the humor is pretty corny, these movies offer a good laugh and bring you through the timeless action and romance scenes that made the James Bond series famous to begin with.

4.     Spotlight

As many of us UMass Minutemen love Boston, Spotlight is a perfect movie. This enticing drama unfolds in the heart of Boston, revealing a scandal, based on a true story uncovered by the Boston Globe. There’s some suspense, and of course, there’s an all-star cast, including Mark Ruffalo and Rachel McAdams.

5.     Focus

If you love Will Smith, you will adore Focus. A unique story gives us insight into the lives of professional pickpockets and gamblers. Will Smith plays the lead and let’s us into his character’s mind. There are quite a few twists and turns along the way and some romance. You will want to try pickpocketing after watching this one.

6.     Big Hero 6

Everybody loves a good kids movie once in a while, and the best kind are those which are not only cute with lovable characters, but also have some adult humor. Big Hero 6 will tickle your inner child and leave you laughing and crying. It has a real plot with meaningful character development. Plus, who doesn’t love Baymax? He looks like a walking marshmallow.

Photos: title, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Emily Adelsberger

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst