The 5 Types of Snapchats We All Receive

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

It’s something we are all guilty of: pausing in the middle of a busy pathway on campus to sneak a picture of the sunset, taking your chances and praying no one sees you taking that quick picture of your professor, or even public ridicule in class while you practice the duck face into your phone. And why do we do this? Well, there’s only one reasonable explanation… and that is, Snapchat.

With new filters and the ability to make a 24-hour story displaying every single person you encountered, the Snapchat addiction is growing. Even though our score on this app shows that we both send and receive an insane amount throughout the day, there are only a couple different types of pictures we receive.

The Party Snapchat

It’s 12:30am, and you didn’t feel like going out. You hear your phone vibrate and see a notification from Snapchat on your home screen. Opening it, you see the blurry reminisce of what appears to be a party. You question if the blur comes from your own eyes, since you did fall asleep watching Netflix. For a second you feel a little lame for staying in, and then you remember your bed will always be more appealing than heels. Back to bed, and thank you for the reminder that you are indeed having more fun than me.

The Half Face Snapchat

It’s early in the morning, but ignoring a Snapchat is just plain rude. You go to reply, and notice how terrifying your own face currently looks. Your right side is obviously your better side, so you angle the camera to only show one eye, a portion of your nose, and a half smile. You realize it’s still pretty unattractive, but there’s nothing a black and white filter can’t fix!

The Starbucks/Dunkin Snapchat

Girls, this one is specifically for you. The essential Snapchat of your iced coffee or grande frap isn’t complete without some sort of caption explaining how badly you needed this today. Also, this Snapchat is normally an important one to make into your My Story, because all of your friends need to be reminded just how great your morning is.

The Inside Joke Snapchat

Whether it be a video of two friends trying to do something that was clearly funny five minutes ago, or a picture of a joke from the night before, chances are you aren’t going to understand it. It was specifically for a certain group of friends, but they sent it to you anyway because…why not?

The Best Friend Snapchat

Possibly the most exclusive club in all of Snapchat belongs to best friends. You both will send each other the most hideous pictures, and depending on the trust level, even set the picture for 10 whole seconds. You laugh at the pictures and each time the ugliness increases. It’s all fun and games until the screen shot notification…

Photo Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6.

Leah Mertes

U Mass Amherst

Leah Mertes is a freshman at UMASS Amherst, studying Communications. She began working and writing for Her Campus second semester of her freshman year, and fell in love immediately. She loves the independence involved in writing, and has many article ideas to come! Leah also spends a lot of her year volunteering, especially during Spring Break when she travels to Honduras. Leah works in Northampton MA, for an organization named Kaya, coordinating international volunteer programs. Aside from work and school she loves her two cats, and spending time back home in Holyoke, MA.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst