5 Clubs to Join at UMass Amherst for a Unique Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Everyone knows that UMass Amherst is a big place filled with a variety of people. Because of this, our school provides us with a lot of opportunities to explore activities that we may have never even thought to try before. Getting involved with extracurricular activities is a great way to do this, so here’s a list of five clubs and organizations students who are looking for a unique experience should try:

1. Active Minds

Active Minds is a club that is affiliated with the national organization that has the goal of destigmatizing mental illness. At UMass, it holds the annual Stigma Tree on campus, and sponsors and organizes the “Out of the Darkness” suicide prevention walk each spring. Mental health awareness is an issue that unfortunately often goes unnoticed, and if you’re interested in taking a stand against this, Active Minds is the perfect club for you.

2. Beekeeping Club

With the recent buzz about bees facing extinction, it’s important for us to know and understand the importance that this insect plays in our environment. Without bees, there would be no force to pollinate our flowers and plantlife, which is entirely necessary for the survival of our environment. This is why UMass’ Beekeeping Club is important. It works to bring awareness and interest to the bee population, which could halt the possibility of extinction. 

3. Belly Dance Club

You’ve probably seen this talented group of performers on campus at various events, but have you ever thought to get involved? Joining this club is a great way to learn about the Middle Eastern culture that this form of dance originated from. According to the club’s page on Campus Pulse, no experience is necessary to join.

4. Fly Fishing Club

Fly fishing is a sport that involves using a long lure, otherwise known as “fly” to catch a fish. This club provides a unique opportunity to experience the outdoors while also learning about a method of fishing that is not common. 

5. Quidditch Club

You’ve read this right, UMass has a Quidditch team! If you’re familiar with the fictional sport from the “Harry Potter” books and films, you may want to check out this magical activity on campus.

All of the clubs featured are Registered Student Organizations (RSOs), and can be found on Campus Pulse for more information. 

Images: cover1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Lauren Crociati

U Mass Amherst

Journalism major, alternative music enthusiast, lover of life, lover of food. 
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst