This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I am ashamed to admit that I was not much of a reader prior to this summer. After hearing the hype about a book called Gone Girl, I thought I would give this whole reading thing a try. And boy, was that one of the best decisions I made this summer. This book completely redefines a page turner and I truly could not put it down. Needless to say, I was thrilled when I heard the popular novel was being made into a movie. My friends and I bought tickets for opening night as soon as we could, and I am happy to say the film did not disappoint. I highly encourage you to read the book first because I can not emphasize enough how interesting it was, but the movie was incredible regardless, and here’s why:

1. It stays true to the book.Author Gillian Flynn actually wrote the screenplay, so if you read the book, you will not be disappointed.

2. It will keep you on the edge of your seat (even if you’ve read the book)Whether you’ve read the book or not, this movie is one of the most suspenseful I’ve ever seen.

3. It features a surprising and amazing cast.Neil Patrick Harris and Tyler Perry are unexpected yet well matched for their respective roles. The lead characters are played by Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike, and they are perfectly cast and work well with their complex characters.

4. Did I mention it stars Ben Affleck?Need I say more?

5. Speaking of Ben Affleck, he makes Bostonians proud.During a scene in the movie, Ben’s character wants to disguise himself by wearing a baseball hat. Apparently, the director wanted him to wear a Yankees hat, but Affleck being a diehard Red Sox fan refused to sport the apparel of our rival team.

6. It is directed by David Fincher.Fincher directed other well-known films such as The Social Network, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Fight Club, and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

7. The plot twists will never cease to surprise you.This movie’s plot twists will leave you speechless. Even if you’ve read the book, the ways it is adapted for the big screen will keep you enthralled.

8. There are surprisingly funny moments in an otherwise dark and suspenseful movie.It may seem distasteful to include humor given the nature of the film, but it just works really well.

9. It is different from anything you’ve seen before.You will not leave the theater with the feeling of “been there, done that” that many modern movies seem to invoke.

10. You will be talking about ending with your friends for weeks.See the movie, and you’ll know what I mean.

Grab your tickets to Gone Girl today!

Photo sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

Allie Bush

U Mass Amherst

Senior Communication Major at UMass Amherst
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst