10 Best Things About Summers on Long Island

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Yes, we have quite a few stereotypes, put a little too much emphasis on the “aw” sound, and are infested with Dunkin Donuts, 7/11’s, and delis…

But we are home to the most expansive sandy beaches, most beautiful oceans, bays, and harbors and some of the greatest summer traditions:

1. Pizza, bagels, ice coffee, and anything you can order at the deli… let’s face it, we have the best hangover remedies around.

2. Extra UV… We’re surrounded by the best beaches and most are only down the street from your doorstep, I mean what’s better than rolling out of bed and onto the beach.

3. The Big Apple… We’re at most a 2 hour train ride from one of the greatest cities in the world. Yes, you may have to battle the ridiculous heat and swarm of tourists but summer is a breeding ground for awesome concerts, events, and anything involving a rooftop (or the A.C.). And don’t forget the best part of the night is of course taking the LIRR home at 4am in your bandage dress, heels, and beer wrapped in a brown bag.

4. Ralph’s… If you haven’t tried it, you haven’t experienced ices at all.

5. Living Vacation… We’re basically vacationing for 3 months straight between trips to Montauk, the Hamptons, and of course renting out houses on Fire Island.

6. Late night snacking… Nothing beats 3am diner runs.

7. Bonfires… With the beach in our backyard, bon fires are the second best nights right behind those ratchet ones on the LIRR.

8. A shopaholic’s wet dream… Not only do we love our beaches, we pride ourselves in having an abundance of amazing and huge malls.

9. Harbors… Nothing screams summer like taking a boat out with some beers, deli, and good music and relaxing in the harbor all day.

10. Long Island Iced Teas… we are home to the best way to get drunk in 3 sips.

We have definitely earned our bragging rights!

Just a semi-functioning individual navigating higher education with a cocktail in hand and a tendency to embarrass herself. I'm as classy as they come.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst