This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Who’s spent their Sunday brunch at The Family Dog? Probably most students at UMaine at some time or another have spent a brunch (or two or three) at the popular breakfast and burger spot in downtown Orono.  Last year, The Family Dog went one step further by installing an outdoor bar and seating area.  More notably, The Family Dog started promoting “Drinks with Jam”, an event led by one of Orono’s (arguably) most popular bartenders, Jamaica Ford.  She even has her own Snapchat filter for the event.

Basic Facts

Name: Jamaica Ford

Hometown: Mexico, ME

Relationship Status: Single AF

Sign: Aquarius

Twitter: @jamaicanyacrazy

Instagram: @jamaicanyacrazy

Campus Life

Major: Social Work

Why UMaine: In-state tuition baby

How did you become involved with Greek Life? I signed up last minute to try something new and ended up loving the Pi Phi’s I met

How else are you involved on campus? Nothing else 

Bests

Best friends: Gannett 3rd floor homies, Caro & Faith B

Best place to meet people at UMaine: House parties

Best professor: Stephen Gilson

Best class: I hate school

Best thing to do on the weekends here: Brunch & Darty

Favorites

Favorite song to dance to at a party:  I will dance to any song played

Favorite song to listen to alone while driving your car: Always riding shot gun with Caro so “Lookin for Ya” by  MIGOS ft. J Biebs

Favorite place to eat in Orono: Woodman’s (Spin dip)

Favorite memory bartending on Mill Street? One night the hockey team brought all their parents to The Roost and opened tabs worth hundreds of dollars $$$$

Favorite drink to make guests? Long Island pitchers

Favorite night to bartend?  Thursday night

Top Three’s

What are the top three things on your bucket list? 1) Travel across Africa helping children in need 2) Spend a day with Snoop Dogg 3) Road trip across the country in a VW van with my significant other

What are the top three best things about bartending in your college town?  

1. Making my friends come down and buy drinks from me
  2. Serving people my age and not creepy old dudes
  3. Serving people and then going out and having them say “Woah you’re drinks with Jam!”

Katelyn is a Senior at the University of Maine studying Psychology and Child Development/Family Relations. Her involvement with Her Campus began at the UMaine chapter in 2015. Currently she is President/Co-Campus Coordinator of the UMaine chapter. In addition to HerCampus, Katelyn is also Secretary of UMaine's Active Minds chapter. Katelyn's future plans include traveling, being a dog owner and figuring out how to be an adult. Fun fact: she uses excessive amounts of hairspray & loves to wear black.
Chloe is a fourth-year Mass Communication major at the University of Maine. She is the Editor-in-Chief/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus UMaine. She is also contributing editor for Odyssey UMaine. Check out her blog at https://cdyer.bangordailynews.com/. She is passionate about writing, and in her free time enjoys reading, traveling and blogging.