How to Liven Up Your Dorm Room

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Alright Collegiettes–we’re officially 8 weeks into school, which means you’re totally sick of your dorm room already and you’re desperate for a change. Before you go blowing your limited savings and re-doing your dorm room, try some of these tips to give the same room a new feel!

1. Lights!

Add some twinkle lights around your bed, bulletin board, or around the top perimeter of your ceiling to add a cozy glow to the room!

2. Fish are Friends!

Yes, that’s right. A fish makes for a perfect college companion. They’re easy to take care of, plus you can decorate the tank to make it fit your room theme.

3. Pictures!

Take a few polaroids with your new best friends and hang them on twine. It takes up empty wall space in a simplistic and totally adorable way.

4. Plants!

A few small cacti and succulents never hurt anybody! They bring life to the room and you barely ever have to water them

5. Pillows, Pillows, Pillows!

Throw pillows aren’t just for their comfy qualities. With an endless option of pillows to choose from, the possibilities for decor are endless.

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Kaylin is a first year Journalism major with a minor in World Politics at the University of Maine. She loves coffee, road trips, and good books.
Mary is a fourth year Ecology and Environmental Science major at the University of Maine, with a concentration in sustainability. Mary loves to read, spend time with her Alpha Phi sisters, cuddle with her cat, and drink coffee. She hopes to save the environment and adopt alllll the kitties.