Healthy Spring Meals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Right when we thought we were on the right track to a perfect summer body spring break hit us… and it hit us hard. Try out these three delicious, filling and healthy meals to get back on track with your fitness goals this summer and feel full and energized while doing so!

First and foremost, my ABSOLUTE favorite.

Vegetarian chili

Ingredients:

½ cup of quinoa, rinsed

1 cup of water

1 tbs olive oil

1 small onion, chopped

3 cloves garlic, minced

1 jalapeno pepper, diced

1 large carrot, peeled and chopped

2 celery stalks, chopped

1 red bell pepper, chopped

1 green pepper, chopped

1 medium zucchini, chopped

2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed

1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed

3 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes

1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce

2-3 tbs chili powder, depending on your taste

1 tbs ground cumin

Salt and pepper to taste

Optional toppings: green onions, avocado slices, cheese, sour cream, Greek yogurt, chips, crackers, etc.

DIRECTIONS:

1. In a medium sauce pan, combine the quinoa and water. Cook over medium heat until water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Set aside.
  2. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over high heat. Add the onion and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic, jalapeño, carrot, celery, peppers, and zucchini. Cook until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
  3. Add the black beans, kidney beans, tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Stir in the cooked quinoa. Season with chili powder, cumin, salt, and black pepper. Simmer chili on low for about 30 minutes. Serve warm.

With this recipe you can eat it plenty of ways. You could eat it plain, or with cheese melted on the top and fresh avocado slices… it could also easily be turned into a “cheat” meal with a few tortilla chips on the side to add an extra crunch.

Smoothie Bowl

If you know me at all, you know I’m a sucker for a good smoothie. This simple recipe is delicious for a quick breakfast/ snack. I promise you’ll be addicted.

Ingredients:

1 cup of fresh strawberries

1 banana frozen

1 banana fresh

½ cup of frozen pineapple

½ cup of frozen mango

½ cup of kale/ spinach

½ cup of orange juice

½ cup of coconut milk

½ cup of granola of your choice

3 tbs of shredded coconut

DIRECTIONS:

1. First blend the strawberries, frozen banana, pineapple, mango, kale/spinach, orange juice, and coconut milk in a blender. Personally I like when the smoothie is thicker because it has an ice cream texture. 
  2. Pour the smoothie into a bowl and add coconut, granola, chopped banana and any other fruit you like! Filling and delicious. 

Energy Balls (that taste like no bake cookies)

Ingredients:

1 cup (dry) oatmeal

⅔ cup coconut flakes

½ cup peanut butter

½ cup ground flaxseed

½ cup chocolate chips

⅓ cup honey

1 tbsp chia seeds

1 tsp vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS:

1. Mix all ingredients together (melting the chocolate chips before mixing it in makes it taste so much better) and let it set in fridge for ½ hour. 
  2. Roll into small balls about one inch in size. Store in airtight container in the fridge. 

*All photos belong to author*

My name is Lilah Gagnon and I attend the University of Maine. I'm double majoring in Political Science and Sociology and plan to attend law school after graduating. In my free time I like to go to the beach, cook, and exercise.
Chloe is a fourth-year Mass Communication major at the University of Maine. She is the Editor-in-Chief/Campus Correspondent of Her Campus UMaine. She is also contributing editor for Odyssey UMaine. Check out her blog at https://cdyer.bangordailynews.com/. She is passionate about writing, and in her free time enjoys reading, traveling and blogging.