Earth Day Events

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

Earth Day represents that one specific day in which the entirety of the world is encouraged to make efforts to contribute to the well-being of the environment that we live in. All around the world people will be doing everything from picking up trash in their local parks, for instance, or just celebrating all that the world has provided us with via a concert. Join in on the Earth Day celebration by participating in or attending any of the events listed below that will be going in the greater Bangor/Orono area.

1.       Earth Day Concert on the Mall from 10am-5pm

Go and support UMaine’s Green Campus Initiative’s Green Team as they put on this concert that features local bands and guest speakers.

2.       Earth Day Pub Crawl in Downtown Orono from 7pm-1am

UMaine’s Partner’s for World Health group has set up this pub crawl that features stops at some of your favorite bars in town! The theme of the event is “Around the World” and so each bar will represent a country. Enjoy the specials going on at each of the bars by purchasing a bracelet for $10. Don’t miss out on this great event!

For more information, check out the Facebook event page that has been set up: https://www.facebook.com/events/1151830141536647/

3.       Bangor’s Earth Day Festival in Bangor’s Pickering Square from 11am-2pm

Join the festivities and help us celebrate not only Earth Day, but also the Bangor Connector bus lines! Not only does this bus system benefit the community by providing its services, it also benefits the earth by helping to cut down on CO2 emission by limiting the number of cars on the road. This festival includes music, food from local vendors, “door-prizes”, and more!

For more information, check out their Facebook event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/1706007152988646/

4.       Bicycle Coalition of Maine’s Great Orono Bike Swap at UMaine from 10am-2pm

Get involved in the global effort to switch to riding bicycles in hopes of cutting down our world’s carbon footprint.

Lee is an International Affairs major and Professional Writing minor at the University of Maine. Aside from her involvement with Her Campus, Lee also plays on the Women's Club Lacrosse team and is a mentor in the Black Bear Mentor program.
Kate Berry is a fourth-year journalism major at the University of Maine in Orono. She loves reading about the latest trends and events.