Campus Celebrity: The Bear Brew Pub

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

The Brew: fun for 21+ and delicious for all! 

The Bear Brew Pub opened under new ownership and management April 28th of 2010 and I got the chance to talk with one of the Bear Brew’s very own, Kelley Syphers, about what makes the Brew a fabulous UMaine Campus Celebrity!

“All of our special events are individually unique, but the best thing about them is being able to partner with the different organizations, fraternities, and sororities on campus and to really form a relationship that benefits all types of charities, both local and national.  It gives us an opportunity to work together to help others.”

“I think what makes the Bear Brew unique is its versatility. It’s a large establishment with endless opportunities!  We have the pub open all the time for delicious lunch and dinner with live music every Friday….  The Lodge (as it is called in the winter, it transforms back to the deck in the summer) is available for dining or small private gatherings.  Club Soma 36 is the place to be on Thursday nights, however we also host special events, have live music, formals, birthday parties, rehearsal dinners, a super bowl party, comedy nights and CD release parties. New this semester are the beer pong tournaments on Wednesdays- the first tournament is Wednesday the 18th at 8pm with some major cash to be won!” Make sure you mark this on your calendars collegiettes!

This Sunday, January 15th at 9:00pm, Her Campus UMaine and Sigma Nu are hosting “Dress Up to Donate and Drink!” This event is 21+ and you must bring a canned food item instead of paying a cover charge! Its time to dress to impress and feel charitable for a fun way to kick off second semester!

“In the next month alone we have not only the Her Campus/Sigma Nu benefit for Manna, we have local musicians Sam Shain, Matt Corey, Jake McCurdy and Nick Racioppi and local bands Kosknip, Frank and the Redhots and The Mad Jacks. We also have Karaoke, open mic night, “So you meet in a tavern” kickoff for Snowcon, and an Indie Showcase on January 21st that features 2 floors of local original music with 8 different musical performances.” You can visit www.mainesbestpub.comfor a complete listing of the musicians and details for all events hosted by the Bear Brew. Don’t forget to like the Bear Brew on Facebook too!

Why does Kelley think the Bear Brew is a staple to the UMaine experience?“I think The Brew is a staple because our food is delicious, between our gourmet brick oven pizza, jumbo wings, angus beef burgers and top notch specials, there is something for everyone!   Also, the entertainment we provide is top notch. Dj Calibur is phenomenal on Thursdays and we support local musicians on Fridays. There is always something to do at The Brew!

There it is collegiette’s, more than enough reasons as to why the Bear Brew Pub is a UMaine legend and a Her Campus UMaine Campus Celebrity!