6 Ways YOU Can Participate in Bearfest

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Maine chapter.

If you’re a Black Bear, chances are that you’re participating in UMaine’s fourth annual Bearfest Dance Marathon for the Kids, or have at least heard about the event from friends, classmates and social media. If you aren’t in on the action, you definitely should be. Bearfest is a 12 hour, entirely student run dance marathon to benefit the EMHS Foundation Children’s Miracle Network, and is UMaine’s largest philanthropy event. Last year, Bearfest raised nearly $50,000. Here’s how you can get involved to help reach this year’s goal of $75,000.

1.       Dance!

What better way to participate in a dance marathon than by actually dancing for 12 hours straight? Dancing all night long to help make a genuine difference in the life of a child in need is guaranteed to be an experience that you will never forget. (Not to mention, a killer workout! You’ll leave the event with the satisfaction of contributing to a great cause and a step closer to that awesome bikini body you’re working on.)The marathon begins at 3 p.m. in the New Balance Student Recreation Center, and the fun continues until the amount of this year’s total donation is announced at 3 a.m. Children and families who receive care from Eastern Maine Medical Center (our local EMHS Foundation Children’s Miracle Network Hospital) will be there, too! Seeing the smiling faces of the children who are directly benefited by this event is part of what makes it one of UMaine’s most magical nights of the year. Click here to register as an individual or to join a team.

2.       Sponsor a Black Bear!

Can’t make the event? Don’t worry, you can help sponsor a UMaine student! Many involved Black Bears have set individual goals and have posted the links to their personal donation pages on Facebook and Twitter. Know a friend or classmate who is raising money for the event? Even a small donation can bring them closer to their goal. The Bearfest website includes a search tool to find the personal donation page of any registered UMaine student; click here to donate!

3.       Donate!

Don’t know any involved students? Click here to make a contribution on the general donation page.   

4.       Spread the word!

Know someone who would love to join the cause? (Um duh, of course you do!) Invite them to visit the Bearfest website with this email form.

5.       Join the conversation!

UMaine students have been buzzing about Bearfest for months leading up to the marathon. See what they have to say by exploring the #BearfestFTK hashtag on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. The hard work of the Bearfest event planners, touching stories of why students have decided to dance, and all other things #FTK are certainly worth the scroll.

6.       Follow @UMaine_Bearfest!

Follow all of the Bearfest action!

Twitter: @UMaine_Bearfest

Instagram: @UMaine_Bearfest

Facebook: UMaine Bearfest Dance Marathon

Snapchat: @bearfest_FTK

Hannah began her involvement with Her Campus as a contributing writer for the UMaine chapter after transferring from Seton Hall University in 2013. Currently, she is the HC UMaine Campus Correspondent and a Chapter Advisor. She is also a staff writer at the University of Maine's student newspaper, The Maine Campus. As a fourth year Journalism student with an English minor, Hannah enjoys writing everything from hard news stories to GIF-filled listicles. In addition to her involvement with Her Campus, Hannah coaches a junior varsity high school cheerleading team. In her spare time, you can find Hannah sharing hair tips on her personal blog, obsessing over Justin Bieber and re-watching episodes of Gossip Girl.